Radon - Sun Nuclear vs. E-Perm

CheckItOut

You could expand the E-perm for less money. Once you have the equipment, you only need to get additional canisters to expand your capability.

I'm not sure but I don't think the E-perm requires annual recalibration like the Sun Nuclears do. If that's the case, the E-perms are cheaper in the long run.

I'm sure there are many other pros and cons of each system.

Don't forget Radalink.

Jamison,

What are you using now?

Radon screening is more than just putting a device in a house and reporting the results for a fee. There are protocols for every device and individual condition.

I have had twenty plus devices from Sun Nuc for the past 15years and used Honeywell and several other type devices prior to that. I have had good experience with Sun.

I like the idea of annual calibration. Can't really explain why, but it seems that a device that is calibrated annually is/should be trustworthy and accurate. We seldom have any questions about our readings. We have an established protocol and are anal about placement, retrevial, reporting and recording.

We use Sun devices, 2' step ladders, tamper tape, propriatary reporting form and signs.

With the E-perm system, you have a zero electret and a set of reference electrets that allow you to check calibration yourself on a regular basis, in between the annual certified calibrations at Rad Elec. These are included with the equipment. If you check their site you will also find they have a real high rate of accuracy. Another benefit is that you are leaving less expensive test equipment on the job, the high dollar reader you keep at your office.

One of the advantages of a CRM (this is what Sun Nuclear is) and the E-Perm is that with the SN, you receive a reading every hour. This allows you to see any anomalies that might be occurring in the home. I don't know how E-Perm deals with tampering, but with a CRM you can tell if the unit was moved, etc.

One advantage of an E-Perm is that you do not need power for it to work.

I use CRM's from Sun Nuclear.

With the E-perm system, you have a zero electret and a set of reference electrets that allow you to check calibration yourself on a regular basis, in between the annual certified calibrations at Rad Elec. These are included with the equipment. If you check their site you will also find they have a real high rate of accuracy. Another benefit is that you are leaving less expensive test equipment on the job, the high dollar reader you keep at your office.

So there is a annual calibration for E-perm? You say it's included in the equipment. Does that mean there is no charge for the calibrations?

Jamison,

What are you using now?

Radon screening is more than just putting a device in a house and reporting the results for a fee. There are protocols for every device and individual condition.

I have had twenty plus devices from Sun Nuc for the past 15years and used Honeywell and several other type devices prior to that. I have had good experience with Sun.

I like the idea of annual calibration. Can't really explain why, but it seems that a device that is calibrated annually is/should be trustworthy and accurate. We seldom have any questions about our readings. We have an established protocol and are anal about placement, retrevial, reporting and recording.

We use Sun devices, 2' step ladders, tamper tape, propriatary reporting form and signs.

Les, I am using canisters now. Why have you had twenty plus units? Do you perform so many tests at one time you need so many or does the equipment just not last long?

And yes, the e-perm reader requires an annual calibration. About the same fee as the Sun calibration fee.

I do like the hourly reporting of the Sun, like the accuracy of the e-perm and the fact that one is only leaving inexpensive equipment on site.

Like I said, they are two different systems. Just trying to weigh them and there is some good info here.

So there is a annual calibration for E-perm? You say it's included in the equipment. Does that mean there is no charge for the calibrations?

John, You send the reader and the references to Rad Elec annually for a certified check of the calibration. There is a fee charged for this. The reference electrets give you the ability to keep a check on the calibration throughout the year. These are included with reader. So, if for some reason the reader becomes faulty, you are not taking inaccurate readings for the remainder of the year. You would send it in early for repair/recalibrating. The E-perm, although it does not give hourly readings, it still gives a total integrated calculation for the entire time of the test. Like Scott said, there is no requirement for power at the test site.

Scott, Tamper resistance is accomplished with zips, tamper tape, positioning, etc. There is also a temp./humidity device available that inserts inside the test box.

I like the SN too. It would be my second choice.

Jamison,

We have a couple Sun units that are 10yrs old and still ticking! We are pretty good at selling the radon screening with an inspection, so we usually have a dozen or so in the field at all times.

I stopped using canisters entirely when I had problems with control and inability to get instant readings. I use ncr rolled paper for printing and can render the whole report on-site, if needed. Also the graph is a good tool for explaination and teaching.

I must say that I have made a couple of dollars from the radon screening activity when I started demanding a consistant protocol and found the right pricepoints for the service.

I have lost(stolen) two units over the last ten years and had one stolen by an inspector that quit. We have also had a couple of instances where we left them at the house for a week or more!

I suppose there are other systems that work as well, but I like simple and direct and that is what Sun devices do for me.