Foundation wall

This home was built in 1925, the lot does drop off toward the rear rather steeply(toward the water). The back foundation wall has numerous vertical cracks that expand toward the bottom. The basement does have a poured slab and there is a separation of approx 1/2" or so between the slab and the actual wall. I am attaching a few pictures to hopefully get some feedback from you guys.

V/R

Click to Enlarge
tn_200932321635_IMG_2182%20(Medium).jpg

52.06 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_20093232171_IMG_2183%20(Medium).jpg

54.2 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_200932321718_IMG_2186%20(Medium).jpg

76.52 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_200932321757_IMG_2210%20(Medium).jpg

59.68 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_200932321816_IMG_2187%20(Medium).jpg

41.07 KB

Hey Mike,

I would say that the drop, which happens rather suddenly rather than gradually, is approx 2-3 feet from that wall. What doesn't show very well, if at all, in those pics is the slight bulging where each of those cracks are. The one pic(where some chips are missing) almost looks like a previous patch.

V/R

Thanks Jim. I verbally explained to my client while on-site that as much as I hated punting, that in this case, a structural engineer is warranted and needed. My report simply states, "Action Necessary - The exposed portions of the perimeter foundation walls(back side) need action as there is evidence of failure. The extent of the damage is not included, due to the limited visibility, as a part of this inspection. Further analysis by a structural engineer is needed."

V/R