Pigtail

NJinspector

My client, who is also a friend of mine, sent me this pic to get my opinion of the seller repairs.

At the inspection the top right breaker was overloaded with (3) 12G wires. The owner pigtailed these (top) and connected this back to the breaker.

Does this really solve the problem?

Click to Enlarge
tn_20094995858_pigtail.jpg

52.01 KB

So far as safety goes, that is fine provided the breaker is the correct size for the wire size.

As to being overloaded or not, that would depend on the homeowner and what all they have turned on at the same time. And what the 3 different wires go to. If they never exceed the amperage of the breaker with the use of all 3 wires combined, then it is not overloaded. If someone new moves in and they have lots of things on at the same time and the breaker is tripping, then it is overloaded.

As to code and being ok or not, depends on what the 3 wires are going to and the local code rules at the time it was installed.

My client, who is also a friend of mine, sent me this pic to get my opinion of the seller repairs.

At the inspection the top right breaker was overloaded with (3) 12G wires. The owner pigtailed these (top) and connected this back to the breaker.

Does this really solve the problem?

Without knowing where the three cables go, there's no way that anyone can tell whether or not this repair is adequate.

- Jim Katen, Oregon