Grumpy

Terence McCann

I lose or drop and break so many flashlights a year that I no longer buy the expensive kind.

My wife goes down to the "Stupid Prices" store and buys up Chinese-made Maglite knockoffs about half a dozen at a time and keeps them in a box on the truck. I've always got a couple extra in the bag that someone can borrow.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Anyone else get a little ticked when a client asks to borrow your flashlight? Pretty anal, I know. I never say anything of course. Perhaps I should carry a mini-mag for those occasions.

I told customers straight up: "If you want a flashlight, you've got to bring your own. These flashlights cost about half as much as your inspection."

Also, if a busybody granddaddy showed up with his own flashlight, I'd say something like, "Let me know when you're done with your flashlighting. Because I flashlight solo."

Oh, and this: When a busybody started following me around, I'd say something like, "You're going to have to follow Rick. He's in charge of keeping folks away from me, so I don't get distracted. And if you start distracting him, he'll send you back to me. Best thing to do is just have a seat on the couch until I'm ready to give you the highlight reel."

Is it obvious that I didn't have to rely on RE agent referrals?

WJ

I never thought of it as a nuisance, I'm thankful I have a customer to lend a flashlight to. This is a service industry and if it involves lending a flashlight then so be it.

You might not say anything but believe me your client will sense your thinking especially women. So, if it ticks you off then carry a 'client' flashlight AND a 'client' tape measure.

It's a win-win situation.

I never thought of it as a nuisance, I'm thankful I have a customer to lend a flashlight to. This is a service industry and if it involves lending a flashlight then so be it.

You might not say anything but believe me your client will sense your thinking especially women. So, if it ticks you off then carry a 'client' flashlight AND a 'client' tape measure.

It's a win-win situation.

Great, now I have to go shopping for mini mags and 16' tape measures with my logo on them. Thanks alot!

Tom

Nobody gets to play with my Fenix but me.......

Speaking of which mine came yesterday. Still waiting on the batteries and charger though.

I must say I was surprised when I saw the size of it, it's tiny. Looking forward to trying it out against the Stinger. However it's going to take a lot to pull me away from the Stinger - I really dig that flashlight. That's why I get grumpy when clients like to play with it. My sandbox.

I would always allow my clients to borrow my flashlight for a few seconds to see something I was pointing out until ... One of my clients dropped it from the top of the attic access ladder. My rechargeable Mag at $125 was broken big time. That was before the time I had two flashlights. That was one dark crawl space that day. I had to use my backup cheapo Mag Light. I'm sure my client had no idea how much that light cost and did not really seem to care for that matter. Luckily Mag repairs are free.

Now I bring a "client light" which is just a small cheapo Mag light. Let um drop it all they want.

I keep a couple of tape measures in my tool bag for clients to use. I just buy the ones with real bright colors so I can tell they are mine.

I carry a spare flashlight and tape measure to loan to the folks. Keeps them busy while I perform the inspection. Interesting moments are when parents bring their children to the inspection and they spot your bag full of goodies and try to claim it as their own while the parents just stand there and not say anything or correct the darlin. [:-party]

• 5 weeks later...