Disconnected B vent

Robert Jones

Yes, as a matter of fact the whole shebang needs to be redone.

Did they actually cut into the water heater flue to make passage for the water piping?? I know, it's a pre-heater, green thinking. That's a classic.

Is there any flow out of the hot water side at all??? Oh dear, didn't realize the ceiling was so close - thank goodness for flex-pipe. Just when you think you've seen it all.

There is a lot wrong there - Uncle Bob should be sacked.

Actually no cut through the flue for passage of the water line, just a nice elbow. Surprising that didn't happen. With the exception of the missing tpr extension, missing seizmic strapping, missing firebox cover, poor run of the flue, the install was ok;) Why they didn't just install where the previous tank was located is beyond me.

It looks to me like at one point they had two water heaters set up tandem. When they had to replace one or both they took one out of the loop. That would explain why the old ducting has two distinct vents going into the joint. The drywall cut is original from when they hung the drywall, they notched the GWB and slid it over the plumbing stubs instead of cutting holes.

The open flue should have been capped when the work was done, and still needs to be capped. I think all of your other notes are right on target.

Yes, there used to be another water heater. Look at the size of that shared vent. It's pretty danged big 'cuz it was sized for two water heaters plus the furnace. This place originally had two water heaters; one went bad so they removed it, coupled the inlet and outlet lines together with a flex connector and said, "We don' need no steenking second water heater."

That second flue connector needs to be capped off. Any indication that flue gases are losing buoyancy and are condensing too quickly?

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Hey Robert,

Did the house have a whirlpool tub (e.g. a jacuzzi)?

When I see two water heaters (or where two used to be) it usually means that a large tub like a whirlpool has been installed.

If there's one in this house and they use it, a 40 gallon water heater won't keep everyone happy.

Morning guys. The home did not have a jacuzzi tub, the tub in the main and master bath were normal size. Mike there was nothing out of the ordinary around the flue, hood or exterior stack. Terry the flue is almost resting on top of the pipe and that is tape/insulation to separate the 2 materials.

Thanks everyone for your responses.

Everyone seems to agree on most of the stuff in the photo. I would re-configure entire flue from existing water heater and immediately remove the flue device. Never saw a flue device I liked, even the young good looking ones.

Look at the size of that shared vent. It's pretty danged big 'cuz it was sized for two water heaters plus the furnace.

Mike

Which brings up another issue. "Vent sizing" UMC 809.0 states "combined vents of gas burning appliances are joined in a common vertical vent can be sized in accordance with appendix C... The most undesirable operating condition occurs when the smallest Input appliance is operating by itself because it must heat a larger column of air in the vertical column vent portion to produce the venting action."

"It's pretty danged big" is it now too big?

Maybe but for sure we know that the other pipe needs to be sealed.