Energy Audits Vex Austin's Home Sellers

hausdok

According to an article in today's online version of the Wall Street Journal, a new law in Austin Texas that requires owners of homes that are more than ten years old to get an energy audit and provide that information to the sellers is causing confusion over the differences between an energy audit and a home inspection.

To read more, click here.

The process of an "energy audit" is extremely vague and I can understand the public's confusion and frustration.

I would think the wisened, sage bureaucrats of Austin have adopted a set of specific criteria which defines exactly what method constitutes an audit?

If not, the other municipalities keeping an eye on Austin to see how the program works have a piss-poor example of how to mandate audits.

Alright, I had an extra minute and Googled a bit.

The audits must be performed by two folks:

1) a RESNET Rater although it doesn't specifically state a HERS rating is required.

2) BPI analyst

The website also touts the cost of an audit to be about $200-$300 but in the same paragraph also says that "Auditors set their own prices."

Right now, if I have to do a HERS rating, it's taking me a full day plus. $200-$300 won't cut it for me.

Randy,

It does not require a HERS rating. The requirements are set by Austin Energy and are a toatl leakage duct blaster test and a specific energy audit checklist. I am on the approved list but have not yet done any. I think it will take about 1 1/2 hrs plus 30-45 mins at the computer filling out the report for $200 - $300.