Boiler feed water question

Terence McCann

If there is no feed valve the city pressure (90 psi) will blow out the pressure valve in an instant. There must be a valve you have not identified. Check for a brass valve on the expansion tank. A hydronic boiler only needs enough pressure to get the water up to the highest section of radiation.

Sorry, should have been more clear. There is a ball valve on the city water line so you can fill the boiler to 12# - just thought a pressure reducing valve should have been there as well. From my Google searches it would appear that it is not mandatory to install a PRV but is common practice type of thing.

http://www.pexsupply.com/Expansion-Tanks-353000 This site shows an amtrol expansion tank, (right side bottom picture) with an auto water feed valve. Did you see something like this??? A ball valve feed from street pressure will not work on a hot water boiler but would be usually found on an oldertimey steam boiler with a site glass, so you could see how much water you were putting in. To try to finesse the pressure to 12 with a ball valve would be very hinkey. Also, most hot water boilers in this area do not have a low water cutoff, which would be found on a steam boiler. If the boiler feed fails and there is insufficient water then the water would overheat and the hi temp setting would shut it down.

A ball valve feed from street pressure will not work on a hot water boiler

Also, most hot water boilers in this area do not have a low water cutoff, which would be found on a steam boiler.

John, Why wouldn't a ball valve feed work on a hot water boiler? Open it up ocasionally and put a little water in.

Low water cutoff is now required for hot water boilers.

Also, most hot water boilers in this area do not have a low water cutoff, which would be found on a steam boiler.

John, Why wouldn't a ball valve feed work on a hot water boiler? Open it up ocasionally and put a little water in.

Well, I find it hard to believe one could keep a 12lb pressure on a boiler with a ball valve that has 70 to 90lbs of pressure when it is opened. I guess if you don't have the money to install a proper feed then you could do it if you visited the boiler frequently. Did not know LWC"s were required now.

Well, I find it hard to believe one could keep a 12lb pressure on a boiler with a ball valve that has 70 to 90lbs of pressure when it is opened. I guess if you don't have the money to install a proper feed then you could do it if you visited the boiler frequently. Did not know LWC"s were required now.

Once the boiler fills to 12# very little attention to makeup water is needed. If you have to keep adding water to the boiler you've got a leak somewhere. This is for hot water/hydronic system boilers.

True enough, but boiler drain cocks leak frequently, pressure relief valves open occasionally, and backflow preventers open from time to time. Not to mention the fact that radiators should be bled every so often. A pressure reduction valve is a no brainer around here.

They may not be required by code, but then, neither is a circulator.

Can't we take a compliment?

By the way, did you get thoses storms yesterday AM?

My house got hit with lighting; lost my fax/scanner; coffee maker, garage door opener, am older 35 " TV (mine for watching the games), a 42" Plasma and a 32" HD.

My wife was sitting at the kitchen counter whn it hit; the sparks came shooting out of the now burnt GFCI.

Lost cable, phone and internet

True enough, but boiler drain cocks leak frequently, pressure relief valves open occasionally, and backflow preventers open from time to time. Not to mention the fact that radiators should be bled every so often. A pressure reduction valve is a no brainer around here.

They may not be required by code, but then, neither is a circulator.

Absolutely - no argument here. I told the client that the installer took the skinny on the entire installation.

Like I said, I can't remember ever seeing a h/w boiler without a PRV.

Can't we take a compliment?

By the way, did you get thoses storms yesterday AM?

My house got hit with lighting; lost my fax/scanner; coffee maker, garage door opener, am older 35 " TV (mine for watching the games), a 42" Plasma and a 32" HD.

My wife was sitting at the kitchen counter whn it hit; the sparks came shooting out of the now burnt GFCI.

Lost cable, phone and internet

Wow, hope everyone is OK.

• 2 weeks later...