Tappan Furnace/AC Age

fqp25

Need some help with a Tappan Furnace Serial - FGD04603492,

and AC condensing unit serial - FSA40511255

The furnace does look newer, and our furnace age chart doesn't help with the serial numbers I recorded for the units. I'm 99 98 97 percent sure I recorded the numbers accurately.

Any help is appreciated, will try calling Tappan Tech Support in the morning.

Frank

Hi Frank,

Sorry, I have to get around to updating that chart. According to my notes - don't ask me where I got them from, I've forgotten - the Tappan code shown in the chart is the old method (pre-1998). Since 1998, the first three letters are the model and series followed by year and month and the last five digits are supposed to be the production code. So FGD04603492 should be June 2004.

Are you sure that you didn't transpose the fourth and fifth position in the AC condensing unit serial? You've got FSA40511255 but FSA04511255 would be May 2004, placing the manufacturing dates of the furnace and AC unit within a month of each other.

Still, I'm looking at those numbers and I'm wondering if my notes are wrong and the third position letter signifies the month followed by the year. If that were the case and using your numbers but transposing that 0 and 4, the furnace would be manufactured in April 2004 and the AC January of 2004.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Need some help with a Tappan Furnace Serial - FGD04603492,

and AC condensing unit serial - FSA40511255

The furnace does look newer, and our furnace age chart doesn't help with the serial numbers I recorded for the units. I'm 99 98 97 percent sure I recorded the numbers accurately.

Any help is appreciated, will try calling Tappan Tech Support in the morning.

Frank

What Mike said. Those are Nordyne-style serial numbers. The first two numerals after the letters are the year. Either you transposed the 4 and the 0 or the printer at the factory did. (It sometimes happens.)

I'd presume they're '04 units and look for confirmation on some other component, as Neal suggested.

- Jim Katen, Oregon