No drip edge, damage write up

tnpappas

Their is no drip edge on this roof. The shingles are laying into the gutter to drain the roof. The last two pictures show moisture and efflorescence on the rake board. So here there are two problems to address. Do I just state the problems, and tell them to have a roofer fix them? Or do I state these are the problems I see, have a roofer evaluate the condition and recommend the appropriate repairs.

Click to Enlarge
tn_200971413350_Mock%20Inspection3%20032.jpg

12.53 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2009714133515_Mock%20Inspection3%20041-1.jpg

29.14 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2009714133534_Mock%20Inspection3%20049-1.jpg

43.44 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2009714133558_Mock%20Inspection3%20136-1.jpg

42.67 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2009714133627_Mock%20Inspection3%20153-1.jpg

46 KB

1. This is the issue.

2. This is why it's bad for your house.

3. This is what I recommend you do about it.

Be strong. If you can see the issue clearly and know what's caused it there's no reason to recommend any "evaluation" just tell 'em to get it fixed by the appropriate pro. When you punt to the other guy, if the seller hires him his response might be, "There's nothing wrong here. That home inspector doesn't know what the f*** he's talking about." and then you'll be defending your assessment.

I'm the one doing the inspection and I won't cede that responsibility to someone else. I only punt to another guy for "investigation and correction as necessary" when I don't know for certain what's causing the issue that I'm seeing. That can be a lot of stuff but it certainly wouldn't be for a missing drip edge when I can clearly see what's going on.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

I also don't agree with Owens Corning installation instructions. They don't say wrap it behind the gutter, only over the edge of the eave 1/4".

This stuff doesn't matter elsewhere, but it matters big time where there are substantial icing conditions.

So Wayne, why not write waterproofing underlayment, or ice & water shield? The only "weatherguard" I know of makes contractor accessories for vans.

That's right! I was wracking my soggy gray matter trying to remember where knew that name from. I had one of those white behemoths on top of the first inspection van I had. I swear it must have cost me 10 mpg.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike