Siding-to-J-channel gap?; installer right?

scragin

Most definitely.

Well, yes if you have soffit vents. If there is a different ventilation system for the roof, then no you don't need vented soffit panels.

Tom

There is vented soffit where there were vent openings before. I had them tear out the old metal grills in the old vent holes, too. But there is none on the overhangs which didn't have vents before. I hope that makes sense.

I believe you need an airspace behind insulated siding because there is no air gap behind insulated siding unlike hollow back vinyl siding. This can cause water to pool and soak into the substrate in certain situations. Manufactures have came out with drainage mats for insulated siding because of this.

If there is an air space installed, what good does the insulation do?

By the way, I agree that there should be an air space, it just makes me think money is wasted on insulated vinyl.

Agreed

But the product is advertised as insulated siding along side the Energy Star logo.

http://www.continentalsidingsystem.com/ ... elock.html

In their VDO below, they claim a 5.25 R value with a 30% reduction in energy consumption. I would submit that the smallest part of the EPS is nowwhere close to the claimed R value. And yes, as an overall system the siding has 0 insulation value as stated above.

http://www.continentalsidingsystem.com/ ... WP_inc.mp4

Toward the end, it's revealed that 29' sheets [:-bigeyes are used to eliminate joints. I'd have to question the wisdom of that idea; it might explain the need for a 2" J' mold as I suspect the movement could be as much as 1 1/4".

I don't particularly like the misinformation and scare tactic this product is marketed under.

• 3 months later...

Image 1 shows the siders sucked,, Sorry to be blunt.

That panel is installed and cut wrong. Have them fix it,, There should be a 3/4 - 1 up first then there angle,

Second picture shows they did not give a rats arse how they installed the gable.

The angle is completely wrong.. I would venture to say that there are more then one of these miss cut angles..

As far as the profile on the corner. That is a preference not a error.

They could have put a gable boot on it and made a 3d profile, instead they ran it into the soffitt on side of house.

Now that is not 2" j-channel,, that is 1" and siding should be 1/4 short on both sides and be able to slide back and forth.

What I am seeing is they were slacks and very unprofessional,, Im sorry you got that from them.

As far as the soffitt vents on the gable ends,, there should be NONE only on the flats.

On gable ends as shown you should have Gable vents.

Hope you get this fixed,, it is more then cosmetic.

Jason