I'm converting!

It is, however, nice that the dark virus developers never seem to target Mac. That's a big plus...

As far as I understand digital computer history:

I don't think it's that they don't target Mac, Linex, etc. It's that the instruction set of these operating systems is fundamentally different than Windows and by nature, isn't very susceptible to viruses, if at all. It's also a very stable operating system. These are some of the primary reasons why major corporations favor Linex and derivations of it. Both Linex and Mac operating system were derived from Unix which is the most original and successful digital computer operating system.

Windows 7 is just Vista after Beta Testing

Same shit... just a different pile!

Michael Brown

DevWave Software Inc.

Basically, yes.

As I understand it, Windows still has MS-DOS as it's underlying core. Doesn't matter if it's XP or 7, it's still DOS somewhere down there. One can only pile so much after market goodies on a Model T, and @ base, we're still running on a Model T.

Just the size of the OS should give an indication of how convoluted it is. What is it up to now? All I know is it takes up a great big chunk of my hard drive.

Indeed, it does, however, appear to be a noticebly better pile of cap than the last few Microsoft BMs. [:-propell

"MS DOS stands for Microsoft Disk Operating System. There is no MS-Dos in windows 7 as the OS is now windows. The command prompt available to users in windows 7 is version 6.1.7100."

The thing I notice most is Windows 7 permits multiple windows and applications open (which isn't new), but you can preview them instantly by simply holding the mouse over the open file icon so you need not open all windows to find the one you're looking for.

So far (fingers crossed) the overall performance is markedly zippier.

But most importantly, what makes windows zippier is using the lightest possible anti-virus, which I touched upon earlier. Having used Bit Defender, Norton, Webroot Spy Sweeper, AVG, and a couple others, I must say that removing them and installing Mircosoft Security Essentials has, to date of course, been a pleasant surprise. Surfing and page loading time is much faster.

As I've said before, it gives me no satisfaction in declaring this for Microsoft's sake, but I am thrilled to be enjoying a PC that isn't hanging and pausing every time I ask it to do something. It's pretty exciting... [:-thumbu]

I'd like to agree with you Mike but an empty brand new PC always runs fast no matter what OS. As you probably already know the speed difference is mostly related to hardware not software. Almost all software on the market will not run on Windows 7 or Vista without turning off the UAC. While installing some software on Windows 7 it locked up and wouldn't even reboot sending me in a never ending loop. A ton of messages saying I don't have permissions to modify the files I just created... the constantly annoying... are you sure... are you sure... arg! Then like Vista you have all the different versions, Home, Ultimate etc... grrr!

The UAC and junction points are my big bitches as any software developer can tell you. Microsoft's own developer's can't even tell you where to install your files so all users can access them and still be compliant with Vista and Windows 7.

I'm sure Microsoft's competitors are very happy with Vista and Windows 7 right now!

I do however have the latest version of Dirt 2 online racing on a brand new box running Windows 7 64bit DX11 with the graphics all cranked to the max and it screams! I'd have to give that credit to DX 11 and a brand new PC though.

Michael Brown

DevWave Software Inc.

Hmm.. The laptop I'm speaking of is a year and a half old. Came out of the box with Vista and I upgraded to 7. No complaints so far.

I definitely don't question your experience. And, you clearly know more than me about software. I just build PCs, install the OS, make sure all the hardware is recognized and functioning and throw a few essential software programs on them. That's usually the last I see of them. And, frankly, it's no longer cost effective to build them. I used to be able to build twice the machine you could buy for the same price, but in this new economy, PCs are a giveaway.

Usually what ends up really slowing my PCs down is anti-virus and online backup software. Those two seem to be the biggest typical offenders for me. Webroot Spysweeper/Anti-virus and Sugarsync online back up both running in the background always had my PC randomly freezing for 30 seconds, like a drooling idiot. For whatever reason, the MS Security Essentials put an end to it.

But, I can't say anymore, because I'm certainly no OS expert - don't even want anyone to think that I think I am. I'm just happy with my PC's performance which has markedly improved. Three of my four PCs are still running XP - no big complaints.

Probably part of the reason I don't experience blue screens etc. is that I don't push a PC very hard either - just surfing and word processling - no gaming. The hardest they ever work is uploading and downloading reports. One is merely a print server for the publishing business. One is just for graphics and word processing. So, my PCs have it pretty darn easy.

End of story.

Sorry this has gotten so far off thread (Mac), but if you don't mind me asking, (Jim Morrison), what's your main reason for converting? My son and I have entertained the thought several times over the years and always chickened out due to such limited software choices. So, I'd sincerely love to hear what your aim or hope is in going that direction.