The hazards of radio frequencies

Bain

So I had to hop on top of a building--well, actually I used the hatch--to take a look at a townhouse's A/C condenser. The stickers below were affixed to the hatch, and you can see the antennas (antennae?) the stickers were warning about.

I Googled and read where long term exposure can cause cancer and similarly yucko conditions, and also how some guys working on a tower actually had their feet fried.

But what about your basic five minutes of exposure? Any downside?

I was, for a brief and insane second, tempted to stand directly in front of the shorter antenna, spread my arms, scream, and see whether I'd be imbued with superpowers. I mean, look at what gamma radiation did for Bruce Banner.

Click to Enlarge
tn_20091110174041_DSC00026.jpg

55.13 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2009111017412_DSC00027.jpg

27.83 KB

http://www.fcc.gov/oet/rfsafety/rf-faqs.html#Q5

Google ARRL RF Exposure to gain additional info.

I must have a screw loose (or several) but I dig antennas. Be careful though as RF burns are a real hazard.

This fellow was on to something - it's just a shame that he didn't live long enough to see the fruits of his labor come to fruition .

http://www.fcc.gov/oet/rfsafety/rf-faqs.html#Q5

Google ARRL RF Exposure to gain additional info.

I must have a screw loose (or several) but I dig antennas. Be careful though as RF burns are a real hazard.

This fellow was on to something - it's just a shame that he didn't live long enough to see the fruits of his labor come to fruition .

From the middle of the first link:

"Two areas of the body, the eyes and the testes, are particularly vulnerable to RF heating because of the relative lack of available blood flow to dissipate the excess heat load."

My eyes I can do without. The other?

I won't sleep tonight. Thanks, Terry.