Unusual Heatilator type fireplace.

I would expect them near the bottom of the firebox.

Yeah, I opened the cover and could tell that air was being sucked up the vent/ duct. Problem is, I couldn't find the other end. Never seen a make up air opening near the top of a firebox.

That looks like someones "home made" attempt it install a combustion air intake vent.

I would have thought that too, had I not been there. The one on the left is capped off, so it was never used. If it was site built, I doubt someone would have gone to the trouble of putting an unused opening into the firebox. This was on a million plus dollar home BTW-- I doubt anyone cut corners and made their own firebox.

Luckily, I just explained my concerns with the buyer, he agreed with me, and we moved on. I'd just like to know more about this in the odd chance that I run into it again.

Those things are pretty common around here. It looks like the duct is just detached from the flange.

Here's a link that describes a Heatilator with an open hearth and fresh-air distribution system.

http://www.heatilator.com/news/pressrelease.asp?id=65

And here's a link where you can download the installation instructions.

http://www.heatilator.com/customerCare/ ... /index.asp

As a mason, I've installed heatilators, but never seen one with a combustion air make-up vent. It appears to be factory installed, but is unusually high in the unit for suct an intent.

It has me wondering if it wasn't to be teamed up with glass doors, as the heatilator is double-walled steel construction and offers a considerable percentage of heat to the room through convection.

Definitely a first for me.

Hi John,

I see what you are talking about, but they seem like dissimilar units to me. I perused through many of the sets of installation instructions on that site, and didn't find anything that close to my set up. Am I missing something?

Oh yeah, the duct wasn't detached-- just looks that way.

I don't think you're missing anything. I looked at some of the instructions, as well, and didn't see anything applicable. But since there are dozens and dozens of models, you'd have to get lucky or make a career out of finding the right set of instructions.

The first link wasn't intended to describe the set-up in your photos, but rather to show that Heatilator makes open-hearth models that draw combustion air from outside the room. You've always been patient and helpful with me, so I was trying to return the favor. I s'pose as research assistants go, I make a pretty good shoe clerk.

Like I said, though, I've seen lots of Heatilators with that same sliding-door configuration, so I don't think there's any question that's how the fireplace came out of the carton.

You've always been patient and helpful with me, so I was trying to return the favor. I s'pose as research assistants go, I make a pretty good shoe clerk.

I do appreciate it as well. Even when I don't find the exact answer I am looking for, I learn something along the way. For that, I appreciate you taking the time to help.