Bulldozing termite infested home.

Well, a Rental built in the 50's is termite infested and is beyond repair(easier to rebuild/cheaper).

Renter called, the wall was "shakeable".

I cut a hole in sheetrock and seen massive termite damage.

In the attic theres fresh tunnels in joists still being maintained by the bugs.

I'm having a pest guy come to tell me what they are for sure and what we can do although my concern is if I bulldoze the house, what can I do to keep them out of neighboring homes?

Bait stations?

If anyone want's to chime in, I'd appreciate what I'm going to do with this crap.... lol..

Matt

First you need to determine the type of termite then go from there. zIf they are subs, demolish the house (sounds like it is pretty well gone anyway) and do a soil treatment - just like new construction. As for the neighbors, tell them to cross their fingers and hope they don't already have them - not your problem.

First you need to determine the type of termite then go from there. zIf they are subs, demolish the house (sounds like it is pretty well gone anyway) and do a soil treatment - just like new construction. As for the neighbors, tell them to cross their fingers and hope they don't already have them - not your problem.

Actually I left that part out, 5 square acres are all together, This house is nearly dead center.

Matt

Given the extent of the damage as you described, it sounds like formosa termites. Brought to major shipping ports of the USA during WWII when the military packed items to be shipped home in crates made of infested wood from the island of Formosa. At least that's the story I've heard. About the same size as domestic termites, just bigger colonies (in the millions). The soldiers have mandibles and they will froth at the mouth when you handle them. Try picking up a few. They will try to bite but they're too small to hurt you. Only the soldiers froth.

Bait systems have a lousy track record in Louisiana. Get a liquid foundation treatment but get it applied correctly. Cracks of 1/8" or more in a monolithic foundation allow termites to bypass the chemical barrier and ruin your investment.

Just my opinion, is all.

Marc

From what I can find online, it doesn't seem that Formosan termites have spread into Oklahoma, yet (but they're coming). If they did turn out to be Formosans, I think the Oklahoma dept of agriculture (or whatever) would want to know about it.

Matt, there's a Q&A link for Oklahoma termite Faqs that you might find useful...

http://pested.okstate.edu/pef/faq.htm#5

It looks like the entomology department at OSU may be the place to go for further info.

Well, since you ask...[;)]

The etymology of Entomology: (from Greek #7956;íôïìïò, entomos, "that which is cut in pieces or engraved/segmented", hence "insect"; and -ëïãßá, -logia[1])

I then tried to find the etymology of Etymology...a mistake! You end up in a rapidly spinning and diminishing black hole. [:-sonar]