Tankless Water Heater Vent Termination

dtontarski

What are the rules for the termination height above the grade for a tankless water heater vent?

The Bosch Model GWH 2400 CTD EFS LP unit I saw installed the other day had its vent terminated within 15" of the grade. This seems too close with the snow we get in this area.

I couldn't find any installation guides online for this model.

I called this install out as questionable and recommended my client add this to the list of questions to pose to the local code inspector, but I expect I'll be seeing a lot more of these and I need to improve my knowledge this topic.

Anyone have or know where I can get more info on this?

Thanks.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201021084257_IMG_2127.jpg

50.7 KB

Most installation guides will state 'Termination is required to be 12 inches above anticipated snow level'.

Your gonna have to find out what the anticipated snow level is in your area (I would think upwards of 16 inches or so) but you may be surprised. Here in NJ, "officially" it's 6 inches.

Thanks - you're right about the grading, but not the whole house just a couple of walls.

Not a new home....a country church converted to a contemporary home.

Flipped churchs and flipped homes are about the same....as far as the level of workmanship.

Thanks for the general info on the vent termination issue. I'll research this a bit more when I have time, and talk to the local code guy and post any pertinent info I discover.

Most installation guides will state 'Termination is required to be 12 inches above anticipated snow level'.

Your gonna have to find out what the anticipated snow level is in your area (I would think upwards of 16 inches or so) but you may be surprised. Here in NJ, "officially" it's 6 inches.

Do ya think there is a problem with these installed in D.C. right now?

Do ya think there is a problem with these installed in D.C. right now?

Probably not. They just have a little area on the side of the house where snow mysteriously doesn't stay around very long. [;)]

But, I bet water just LOVES running down the outside jacket of the electric main entry cable and into the wall. Brilliant!