Minimum allowed flow rate for a well?

Brandon Whitmore

I had a Realtor contact me today wanting more info. as to what flow is legally required for a house. I told him that I was not aware of any law requiring a certain flow for a well, but that I'd look into it further. I thought lenders put forth the flow rate requirements (3 or 5gpm based on memory)

Question 1:

Is there a law requring a certain flow of water from a well?

All I have found so far is that sellers are required to test the water quality prior to a sale.

http://oregon.gov/DHS/ph/dwp/dwtfaq.shtml

Brandon,

For the three counties here in Mid-Michigan we have a point of sale law (regulation) All wells and septic systems have to meet particular standards at the time of sale. Most health departments and county regulations spec a min of three gpm for existing wells. All new wells must have seven gpm.

This all gets complicated by region. As far as I know most local govt trump codes.

County (and maybe some state) health departments usually specify the flow rate required for new private wells.

The IRC specifies flow rates in gpm for each fixture (there's a table). The flow rate can vary significantly at the various fixtures in the home. Checking the flow rate at a tub spout will give a significantly different result than at a lav with aerator (with maybe even a water-saver insert). To properly test the flow rate of a well pump, it needs to be measured prior to any devices or fixtures. Homeowners often assume a flow rate is synonymous with well yield or recovery.

Thanks Les,

When min. flow rates can't be met, do they allow a cistern to be installed in lieu of drilling a new well?

no cisterns allowed in michigan.

I think the real issue is the requirements are all over the board and extremely regional. We cover a large area and find a variety of rules/laws.