Service panel ground

barlyhop

Inspected a basement mounted main service panel today. There was no system ground attached to the bus anywhere. I checked the water meter which had a ground wire attached with jumper as usual. The ground wire followed the copper water pipes back towards the service panel, traveled over the service panel, not touching it whatsoever, then went outside through the band joist. The service drop was underground and the ground wire exited the basement at the point of the meter enclosure. Could there have been a ground attached behind the panel somehow? The panel was mounted on plywood over poured concrete foundation so I don't think that was the case.

Sheeesh.

Inspected a basement mounted main service panel today. There was no system ground attached to the bus anywhere. I checked the water meter which had a ground wire attached with jumper as usual. The ground wire followed the copper water pipes back towards the service panel, traveled over the service panel, not touching it whatsoever, then went outside through the band joist. The service drop was underground and the ground wire exited the basement at the point of the meter enclosure. Could there have been a ground attached behind the panel somehow? The panel was mounted on plywood over poured concrete foundation so I don't think that was the case.

Sheeesh.

Sounds like the grounding electrode conductor originated in the meter box. If so, there's nothing wrong with that. It just has to connect to the neutral at *or before* the service.

- Jim Katen

Sheeesh.

Sounds like the grounding electrode conductor originated in the meter box. If so, there's nothing wrong with that. It just has to connect to the neutral at *or before* the service.

- Jim Katen

So, In that case and if you can't verify for sure (and need to assume) how do you write that up.....i.e. write what you see, put in report what you don't see? and do you recommend an electrical contractor open everything up to verify continuity ????

Jerry

It sounds a little iffy to me. I would recommend that you write it up and say something like; Could not confirm the electrical service is grounded and bonded per code requirements. Recommend that a licensed and qualified electrical contractor be consulted to confirm.

Especially where the grounding takes place somewhere other than the main panel. Most meter bases (a few do) do not have a separate lug for these connections in my experience.