outdoor wiring and conduit

CheckItOut

Curious what you think about an outdoor wire on top of decorative framing members on a deck. House built in '79 and deck maybe 15 years ago. Basically, the framing is a ceiling over the deck with no roof and a ceiling fan is attached. The wire runs on top of the framing for a short distance before being attached to the framing securely. My thought is that a tree limb (tons around) could fall and damage the insulation. I think it should be run in conduit and that is common where it is exposed above ground (this is just way above).

Curious what you think about an outdoor wire on top of decorative framing members on a deck.

"Wire" or "cable"? What type, exactly?

House built in '79 and deck maybe 15 years ago. Basically, the framing is a ceiling over the deck with no roof and a ceiling fan is attached.

I'm lost. How can you have a ceiling without a roof? Is this some sort of trellis? How can you have a ceiling fan with no roof? Doesn't the rain mess with it?

The wire runs on top of the framing for a short distance before being attached to the framing securely.

I don't understand. Does this wire span the distance from one framing member to another, or is it running along the framing member as it would on a running board?

My thought is that a tree limb (tons around) could fall and damage the insulation. I think it should be run in conduit and that is common where it is exposed above ground (this is just way above).

Well, if it's NM cable, it can't be used in conduit outdoors anyway. More details, please. Pictures?

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Neither NM nor UF are rated for being exposed above grade outdoors. If it's got a plastic jacket and you can see it outside the house, it's wrong.

What code section prohibits UF cable from being used outdoors if it's sunlight resistant?

- Jim Katen, Oregon

I've never heard of sunlight resistant UF. I assume such a creature would still need to be protected from physical damage?

. . . I've never heard of sunlight resistant UF. I assume such a creature would still need to be protected from physical damage?

Really? It's the only kind I ever see.

Yes, it certainly needs protection from physical damage, which is why I asked all those questions. If it's just run along a piece of wood, as a running board, and if it's high up off the ground, I think it would be pretty safe from damage.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Really? It's the only kind I ever see.

Perhaps because I've never looked before. Sure enough, the spool sitting in my basement says "sunlight resistant". Oddly, it's marked only on the wire itself, not on the marketing material printed on the packaging.

Thanks for enlightening me.