State of the State of CE

My renewal date is coming up, so I thought I would check in with NY to see if any the training I did for my day job or my ZBA appointment would be accepted for HI CE credits. I have 14 hours approved, and 24 hours up in the air (until yesterday).

12 hours of solar energy training does not qualify because the provider is not on the list of approved educators. I can live with that.

8 hours of HUD/EPA LRRP Lead Hazard Certification training does not qualify because the application for approval is still pending. The provider is not on the list of approved educators, and must be aproved before their course can be. They are good enough for HUD and the EPA but apparently not for NY, very disappointing.

4 hours of Zoning Law training, which meets the legal obligation for training for every local government employee in the state, does not qualify because the provider is not on the list of approved educators. Apparently the NY Dept. of State isn't qualified to make it onto their own list. I'm not making this up, that is the official position of the Bureau of Educational Standards. How sad is that?

Tom

You sure you aren't in Louisiana?

Seriously, it sucks. I put in a recommendation to our State Board that CE be approved on a course by course basis instead of on a provider basis. Nothing came of my recommendation. Even ICC wasn't approved. Ridiculous.

I think some State Boards simply copy other states. They haven't the confidence to believe that they can come up with a better way.

Marc

You sure you aren't in Louisiana?

Seriously, it sucks. I put in a recommendation to our State Board that CE be approved on a course by course basis instead of on a provider basis. Nothing came of my recommendation. Even ICC wasn't approved. Ridiculous.

I think some State Boards simply copy other states. They haven't the confidence to believe that they can come up with a better way.

Marc

Not that kind of rough, Marc.

You're right. It does suck.

They don't seem to have any structure or State guidelines here.

Three weeks ago I received an email for an ASHI sponsored seminar. At the bottom of the form; New York State CE approved. (pending)

Pending?

I'm not sure, but I think they have to call every time they do one of these. At least that was the impression I got when I called them.

It's the same here in NJ.

As a licensed NJ building inspector, I get to attend as many well written, well conducted seminars as I want to (provided there's a seat available); these are sponsored by the NJDCA division of standards and codes & Rutgers.

(Did I say all these seminars are FREE for me?)

You would think the state licensing board would be quick to approve these as they are part of Rutgers. But Nooooooooo, I have to jump thru hoops to get approvals, most of the time they are rejected because they don't like the way I filled out the form. Actually I think they reject them because I submitted them and I don't have to include a $100.00 check for each course.

I think I'm gonna write to the new Governor to see if I can be a part of the board!

As a licensed NJ building inspector, I get to attend as many well written, well conducted seminars as I want to (provided there's a seat available); these are sponsored by the NJDCA division of standards and codes & Rutgers.

(Did I say all these seminars are FREE for me?)

I just had this (pointless) argument with NY yesterday. I just finished 27 hours of mostly excellent CE to meet the requirements for my building inspector position. I called the State to see if the hours could be applied toward my HI requirements. They don't.

Building inspectors, engineers (even electrical) and architects are allowed to perform home inspections w/o a home inspector's license. Architects and engineers are exempt from CE requirements because their profession requires them to get CE. So, here I am listening to the likes of Lstiburek and Woeste, hob-nobbing with architects and engineers whose professions allow the same CE I'm taking as meeting the requirements for their chosen field but NY won't allow it because the presenters didn't pony up 25 bucks to the division of licensing to register the course.

I'm going to register a course or three. Stay tuned.

WTF

Does presenting a course count toward your CE? If so I might have to register a few.

I still think Mike should work on getting participation here accredited, say one hour a month for anyone that posts over 500 times a year. I should be just about covered.[:D]

Tom

In my state (TN) the instructor is not able to get any CE credit for the course they are teaching.

...the likes of Lstiburek and Woeste...

Dr. Joe is a brilliant presenter, I would go to another of his seminars in a heart beat. In the first five minutes of the seminar I attended he told over 200 architects and engineers that they were stupid, and every one of them roared with laughter.

Is Woeste the guy that looks like a cross between a mad scientist and a highschool shop teacher? The one that likes to pad out building exteriors with base sheet furring strips and spray foam? If so, his intuitive grasp of how buildings behave is utterly amazing, his insulation concepts are damn scary though.

Tom