Furnace flue bends

Jeff Beck

Why would you do this?

2005 Ameristar furnace, 60,000 input btus, the flue goes through an unheated attic space into one of those fake brick (metal) chimney chases.

I thought it might be to prevent condensation from draining back into the furnace. But the bends in the flue could slow down the draft to the point of cooling before it exits the chimney and actually cause more condensate to form.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2010424194751_DSCF0016.jpg

78.8 KB

Thanks,

Jeff

Slaps head and says, "Oh what a dummy am I!" [:-paperba

I actually showed the client how to change the filter and it never occurred to me that was why the 90's were there.

It's been a long day.

Couldn't get access to the attic in that section so I don't know if it's a B-Vent.

I measured the room and there is enough combustion air. This is a 75 year lake house with a view of the lake to die for, but I don't think the clients wanted to go that far. [;)]

Jeff

Couldn't get access to the attic in that section so I don't know if it's a B-Vent.

Jeff

Could you not see the bottom of the B-vent at the ceiling thimble and see the other end of it protruding from the roof when you inspected the rooftop?

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

If that's the filter, then that's a return register just above a water heater draft hood, no?

That would be a no, no.

I have a seminar booklet that states "One 90 degree offset is permitted when using the new vent tables." I need to do further research on that.