flashing

Jim Baird

In a previous incarnation I put steel on buildings. Simple large roofs were fun; as soon as things got 'complicated' the price of flashings doubled the material costs (or even tripled), and labour costs... well, lets just say that its a good thing these materials have a long life expectancy. On most roofs, check that, on properly installed roofs, the little neoprene washer is a limiting factor. When it ages/turns into dust, the metal has a little room to move and things start to vibrate and wear.

I thought it was a flexible UV resistant PVC washer....(?).......

Neoprene wouldn't hold up for a month.

I've got some steel on a building I constructed 20 years ago and the washers are still fine (amazingly). There must be varying qualities of washers.

That type of corrugated steel is becoming the norm around here. As I look out my office window I can see seven homes, five of them covered in steel. If I walk across the building and look out any of the other sides the numbers are similar, in fact they are installing one now on the building across the street. I drive past a house every day on my way to work that just recently was completely clad in the stuff, replacing the rusted out seamless steel siding from the 50's.

I will be putting steel on my own house this year, but not that stuff. I wouldn't put corrugated on if it were free.

Tom

Everything has it's place. Corrugated, installed correctly, works fine.

I've put it on cheap cottages, and folks remark how nice it looks. Depends on the profile, type, and finish details.

I'm not proposing everyone do it, but functionally, there's nothing wrong with it.

Kurt,

You had me wondering so I double checked with a manufacturer and he said they were neoprene. When I asked how long they lasted, he suggested that "about the time you would check a 30 yr shingle roof, you should go up and check, as sometimes the screws back out. The washers should be fine."

This is a link to a company's PDF for ordering and installation with lots of details about how to flash, for what it is worth, though there are no specifics on the composition of the 'GASKETED FASTENERS'.

http://www.fabral.com/installation/gran ... lutuff.pdf

I thought it was a flexible UV resistant PVC washer....(?).......

Neoprene wouldn't hold up for a month.

I've got some steel on a building I constructed 20 years ago and the washers are still fine (amazingly). There must be varying qualities of washers.

Temperature exposure is likely a factor in the life of neoprene washers. Maybe a hot attic would reduce the service life of the washers.

Marc