Steam shower wiring. Wire size, breaker question.

Pavlo

Need help.

I am installing a steam shower. It has a steam engine that takes 3000 Watts, 110 V, and a pump at 750 W, 110 V. What size wire and breaker do I need? I assume 10/3, 30Amp. Am I correct? Do I also need a GFCI outlet at the shower, or can I just hard wire it? Should I keep the two engines on separate lines? (the 750W on some existing circuit, and hte 3000W on a new one). I appreciate all responses. Thank you.

Need help.

I am installing a steam shower. It has a steam engine that takes 3000 Watts, 110 V, and a pump at 750 W, 110 V. What size wire and breaker do I need? I assume 10/3, 30Amp. Am I correct? Do I also need a GFCI outlet at the shower, or can I just hard wire it? Should I keep the two engines on separate lines? (the 750W on some existing circuit, and hte 3000W on a new one). I appreciate all responses. Thank you.

Your electrician will know the answer to each of those questions.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

110?

Does anyone supply 110V anymore? I think you mean 120, but I'm not in PA so I don't know for certain.

3750/120 is going to require at least 31.25 amps

3750/110 is going to require at least 34.09 amps

Do they specify a maximum breaker size? If not, I think you're going to need #8 copper or #6 aluminum and a 40 amp breaker. Don't trust my word though; I'm a math/electric idiot - wait for Jim K. or one of the ex (or current) sparkys to weigh in.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Not disagreeing with Jim, but.......

It's certainly possible to do what you're proposing. It's not hard, and the calculations are not complicated.

But, you need to learn how to make the calculations, compare them to the rating on the equipment, comprehend all the installation criteria, and understand how it all complies with the electrical code governing your work area.

That's what electricians are for. If you can't afford an electrician, you have a lot of homework and study in front of you. Only a idiot would provide any advice based on the minimal and incomplete information you're providing.

Are you sure its not suuposed to be wired to a 240v circuit?By the time you figure 125% of the load for the wiring youre looking at 39.05A even at 120 v which requires a 40A circuit and #8 wire,i dont remember ever seeing a 40A single pole breaker in my daily travels anyway.

If you run it on 240V you could run it on a 20A 2p breaker with #12 wires feeding it [;)]