Sprayed Roof

Mike Lamb

This roof had a black spray. It was applied a week ago and was still a little sticky. I think they also sprayed the asphalt driveway with this stuff. I've read a little about some asphalt roofing sprays but this is new to me. A woman paid a lot of money for this.

Is anyone familiar?

Click to Enlarge
tn_201052715421_009_Vga.jpg

62.86 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201052715517_036_Vga.jpg

90.2 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201052715543_008.jpg

40.94 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201052715628_004_Vga.jpg

63.48 KB

I've been seeing stuff like this for a few years. I think it's garbage.

There's a bunch of buildings on the South side with this stuff on them; I think it's garbage because all of the buildings have continuing leak problems.

Until I had a specific brand name and specification to check it against, I'd call it garbage in any report that had my name on it.

Here is what it looks like in 5-6 years.

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif 2009 06 30 RRO 8610.JPG

1973.04 KB

Ballasted it looks like this.

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif 2010 04 21 RRO 7595.JPG

1801.34 KB

It is my understanding that the ballast adds 5 years to the systems warranty. Each of these projects have 1500-2000 squares of roofing. Each has a fair number of water leaks. The ballast makes it that much harder to locate the source. Due to the way the system is applied over the existing roof leak detection is allways very difficult.

I talked to a roofer buddy and a rep from the Henry Co. (nice folks. I sent photos and the guy called back in 5 minutes.) They both concur this is either a roofing primer or maybe just black paint. Anyway, not any type of finishing system.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2010528121817_014_Vga.jpg

44.65 KB

. . . It is my understanding that the ballast adds 5 years to the systems warranty. Each of these projects have 1500-2000 squares of roofing. Each has a fair number of water leaks. The ballast makes it that much harder to locate the source. Due to the way the system is applied over the existing roof leak detection is allways very difficult.

Yeah, but with roofs that big the owner's inclination is to squeeze out every minute of roof life with whatever band aids are available. A few leaks here & there are usually acceptable because the cost to repair them is so tiny compared to the cost of a new roof. And that's probably how it should be. Commercial roofing and residential roofing are two different ball games.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi,

There may have been sprayed polyurethane foam roofing system due to it's insulative and seamless nature. Sprayed polyurethane foam has been used as a roofing material for thirty years. Once the sprayed polyurethane foam is applied a protective cover is applied over it. These protective coatings can be silicone, urethane, cementious or acrylic. The coatings give increased fire resistance, waterproofing, UV protection and add more resistance to impact and abrasions to the SPF surface. Once the foam roof insulation and protective coating is dry added protective walkways can be placed in areas where necessary.