Which SureTest?

kurt

Originally posted by crusty

If I were buying a new one it would be the 61-155. The combination arc fault/GFCI circuit analyzer. It will measure ground impedence and detect false grounds as well as voltage drop. I've have the predecessor for about 6 years and love it.

Ditto. About time you pried open that wallet, Mitenbuler! It's only been a year since you were the crash test dummy for the three light tester presentation.

Not only was Kurt the crash test dummy for that presentation, but I was sitting next to him when we swore a pact to buy the Suretest immediately. Reminds me of the time my high school buddy and I planned to streak across a backyard pool party. I believed him too.

I bought the 61-155 and liked it at first, but am no longer happy with it. Lately, it has been giving me false "no ground" readings about 50% of the time. I haven't sent it back to Ideal, yet, but I'm going to. I've heard other inspectors had the same trouble with it.

I think I remember The Honorable Mr. Hansen complaining that he doesn't like the 61-155 either, though I don't recall exactly why, I believe he said he preferred an older model.

Originally posted by Jim Morrison

I bought the 61-155 and liked it at first, but am no longer happy with it. Lately, it has been giving me false "no ground" readings about 50% of the time. I haven't sent it back to Ideal, yet, but I'm going to. I've heard other inspectors had the same trouble with it.

I get a false ground reading if the outlet I check is within about 10' of the panel. Other than that mine has worked fine. I did have to replace the pigtail, but that was more due to me being too lazy to bend down and pull the tester out by the plug.

Yeah, I know, but it's only been 10 MONTHS, not a year. This biz has so much stuff to be aware of, it is almost impossible to keep up w/all of it. I set my confusion up in stages so as to organize my stupid practices into tightly defined bundles. [:-eyebrow

Electrical is one of them, although, if any of you outlanders had to work in Chicago & deal w/ the silliness of the Big Dirty, you'd probably blah, blah, blah,....... I did recently complete 6 hours of continuing ed on electrical, which ONCE AGAIN made me realize my deficiencies, so at least I keep my stupidity current.

I'm stupid, but at least I know it. [:-idea]