Fly our flag properly on Memorial Day

Do you know how to properly display the American flag on Memorial Day?

In the morning when the flag is posted it should be raised properly to half mast(staff). Proper raising is to take the flag to the top of the pole and then slowly lower the flag to half mast.

Then at the Noon hour the flag should be slowly lowered and then briskly raised to the top of the flag pole. It should remain at this postion for the rest of the day.

Why half mast and then full mast?

The first part of the day while the flag is at half mast is in remembrance for those that have given their life for our country. The rest of the day when the flag is at full mast is in remembrance for those that are serving or have served our country.

I hope all will fly the American Flag with pride on Memorial Day.

There's all kinds of rules that get broken when flying our flag. Stuff like flying it in the rain which should not be done unless during battle. Another is it must be fully lit is being flown at night.

Actually, you can fly it in inclement weather if it's an all-weather flag. I guess an all-weather flag would be one made of synthetic material that's not affected by water. Now that I think about it, I bet you'd have to look far and wide to buy a cotton flag today.

§174. Time and occasions for display

* © Inclement weather

The flag should not be displayed on days when the weather is inclement, except when an all weather flag is displayed.

US Flag Code

I just got back from a Memorial Day ceremony. An old veteran told us a story from the Korean War.

It went something like this: "It was the winter of 1952 and we were north of Inchon. It was an even colder winter than 1950. Suddenly we were under attack. It was 1,000 to 3. We fired our guns until the barrels were so hot they wouldn't shoot anymore. So we cooled them with snow. We fought for hours and hours. The snow turning red with blood. Finally we ran out of ammo and went hand to hand. We battled for hours in brutal hand to hand combat. When it was all over I turned to my friends and said "Those were the 3 toughest Chinese guys I've ever seen"."

We all had a good laugh and I thought I'd share it here.