Who wants to talk about Radon?

kurt

Three test in the last week; North Canton at 84.4 pCi/L, Louisville, OH at 30.6 pCi/l and West Akron at 1.6 pCi/l. Of the three, we thought that West Akron was going to be high as there were many standpipes and fans visible in the allotment and it falls within that Avon to Columbus High Radon Corridor that Terence McCann mentioned. North Canton and Louisville usually show low.

You just don't know until you test.

Ezra Malernee

Canton, Ohio

Pretty big hot spots, Mike.

I think if I was in your area, I'd find somewhere to point those who insist, and get on with inspecting.

washington.gif

But I'm in the middle of a hot spot and was losing business because I didn't test. Now I do.

kentucky.gif

Well, that's just it, I'm not losing money and I'm not in the middle of an area where I'm losing business 'cuz I don't do radon. In fact, when I go out to do work that way I invariable lose money. Most of what you see on that map is a whole lot of desert, mountains or woods and a helluva long ways away from here - hundreds and hundreds of miles.

Except for Clark County where Vancouver is and Spokane county where Spokane is, there aren't any significant populations in those areas. Skamania county is the west end of the Columbia gorge and has a lot of little towns so it's probably #3 in that lineup; but, hell, it's almost cheaper to fly to Spokane than drive. One could fly to Spokane, rent a car, do the inspection and fly back in the time it takes to just get there from here by car. Well, maybe that's an exageration, but, believe me, after driving it one way you're not going to feel much like inspecting - kicking back for a nap maybe, but inspecting?

If I had to, I guess I'd point them to Jim or Brandon for Clark or Skamania counties but I don't even know if they even go that far or even do radon. If they don't, I guess they'd punt 'em. For Spokane county, I'd point them to the guy who bought Bill Meyer's firm out there in Spokane. Other than that, I wouldn't have a clue who would even be willing to do inspections in most of those northern counties - I know I'm sure not willing to go out there unless I'm going to combine it with a camping trip or something else, 'cuz getting out there is a serious chore.

Looking for a place to hide? Go out there. Okanagan, Perry, Stevens and Pend Oreille counties are so sparsely populated that a home inspecting boy out there, even if he was covering all of those counties - and that would involve a lot of highway face time - better have a full-time job doing something else or be collecting a retirement check; because inspection pickings out there are gonna be pretty slim.

That's great country for camping and critters; but you're talking major wilderness, grow op country and a whole lot of nothing besides trees. Hell, Okanagan, Perry, Stevens and Pend Oreille counties might not even have a single Starbucks between them - way too uncivilized, don't ya think? [:-eyebrow

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Hi,

There are, according to the one guy in Olympia who the state employs to deal with the question of radiation, only two "hot" spots in the state of Washington - Vancouver, WA and Spokane. The only time I've ever heard of anyone around here testing for radon it was a result of "up selling" their services, which I think was borderline dishonest, and when someone from back east moved out here and insisted on it.

Randy, Richard, Robert - any of you do radon testing?

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

When starting up about 12 years ago, I wanted to get my radon testing "certification." I called, I think, the EPA to enquire about the process.

The gentleman said don't waste my time. There is a .00-something chance of radon occurence west of the mountains in our state.

I've never pursued or paid attention to radon since. . .

Three test in the last week; North Canton at 84.4 pCi/L,

Ezra Malernee

Canton, Ohio

Wow Ezra, 84.4 eh? That's really something. My highest was 18 on the west side of Cleveland.

Are you using Sun Nuclear Ezra?

Yes, Sun Nuclear. I had two monitors at this house as a quality check. If I had had just one, I may have retested with another to verify the reading.

Ezra Malernee

Canton, Ohio

We stayed out of radon testing as long as we could. Once it became defined and regulated, we teamed up with a test-only firm. All our inspectors are "certified technicians", so they can place the test. The radon company makes all the arrangements, picks up the tests and sends the reports.

A majority of the tests that I place come back with "unacceptable" levels. Most are between 8.0 and 50.0 and I've had several over 100. Two were over 300!

Hell, Okanagan, Perry, Stevens and Pend Oreille counties might not even have a single Starbucks between them - way too uncivilized, don't ya think? [:-eyebrow

Oh my Golly, No Starbucks in Hell, Okanaga, Perry, Stevens AND Pend Oreille counties. What do those poor folks do for coffee? Can you imagine having to brew your own?

(Though personally, I think Starbucks is a big waste of money.)

(and yeah, I know Hell is an exclamation, not a county but it just flowed so well that way. Though there is a Hell, MI and a Hell, CA.)

Kurt's compulsions sure lead us to some strange places.

-