Chinese drywall

I have a client who is concerned about the Chinese drywall situation. Is there a way to provide an scientific test for the sulphur dioxide off-gassing? I told him I would look for telltale signs, pitting on plumbing fixtures, and black deposits on wiring/ electrical fixtures. I do not know of a process to evaluate the presence/absence of elevated levels of sulphur dioxide. Nor do I know of an acceptable level of sulphur dioxide, for that matter.

Hi,

The first thing I would do is call a few of the local drywall suppliers and ask them if they'd imported any during Katrina or since. I know the media has spread around the idea that it has been distributed in 41 states but I think they've grossly exaggerated the actual number of states where it's been. For instance, none of it has ever been sold here and the basis for the press' allegation that it's here in Washington State is based on nothing more than a complaint from someone that had no idea whether they had it or not. It's funny, when people think they see a class-action on the horizon, they pile on left and right hoping to get part of the payout.

There are lots of chemicals in new houses that will temporarily affect peoples sinus' and sometimes even one's skin if your very sensitive to it. When someone thinks they have Chinese drywall because their stomach gets queezy or they get an itch they file a complaint that they've been exposed to chinese drywall, 'cuz they're hoping for a payday, and then the local press runs with it and it fuels the rumors - just like the "toxic" mold stories fueled the idea that people are dropping left and right due to mold in homes, when nothing could be further from the truth.

If suppliers locally tell you that they sold some of it, then it's probably worth checking out.

As far as the toxic levels go, even EPA hasn't figured that out yet.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Mike has hit the nail on the head.

If your client is in PA, we've been monitoring this closely and the only "reports" of the tainted drywall from PA were a small handful of complaints filed with the CPSC. As of this date, we have not found a single documented, laboratory confirmed case of this product in PA.

Hi,

The first thing I would do is call a few of the local drywall suppliers and ask them if they'd imported any during Katrina or since. I know the media has spread around the idea that it has been distributed in 41 states but I think they've grossly exaggerated the actual number of states where it's been. For instance, none of it has ever been sold here and the basis for the press' allegation that it's here in Washington State is based on nothing more than a complaint from someone that had no idea whether they had it or not. It's funny, when people think they see a class-action on the horizon, they pile on left and right hoping to get part of the payout.

There are lots of chemicals in new houses that will temporarily affect peoples sinus' and sometimes even one's skin if your very sensitive to it. When someone thinks they have Chinese drywall because their stomach gets queezy or they get an itch they file a complaint that they've been exposed to chinese drywall, 'cuz they're hoping for a payday, and then the local press runs with it and it fuels the rumors - just like the "toxic" mold stories fueled the idea that people are dropping left and right due to mold in homes, when nothing could be further from the truth.

If suppliers locally tell you that they sold some of it, then it's probably worth checking out.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

I don't see how any wholesaler or vender of chinese drywall would willingly acknowledge to anyone other than perhaps their own attorney that they actually sold chinese drywall.

Unless they're couillon.

Marc

I have a client who is concerned about the Chinese drywall situation. Is there a way to provide an scientific test for the sulphur dioxide off-gassing? I told him I would look for telltale signs, pitting on plumbing fixtures, and black deposits on wiring/ electrical fixtures. I do not know of a process to evaluate the presence/absence of elevated levels of sulphur dioxide. Nor do I know of an acceptable level of sulphur dioxide, for that matter.

One thing to note is that just because you get a low reading (what ever that is) from all of your samples does NOT mean you don't have it. It just means the place you took the samples from did not have it. Lots of houses can have several different types and thickness of drywall specified and then you might get several different batches from different manufacturers.

IF you get one positive sample then you have it but it does NOT go the other way unless you test each and every piece of drywall.

Here is a good site from the Florida DOH

http://www.doh.state.fl.us/environment/ ... ywall.html

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

I don't see how any wholesaler or vender of chinese drywall would willingly acknowledge to anyone other than perhaps their own attorney that they actually sold chinese drywall.

Unless they're couillon.

Marc

I agree, just calling someone that just randomly answers a phone is not the most scientific way of figuring out if a particular house has tainted GWB. Even if they did ship bad GWB, they would not tell you. Heck the person answering the phone probably did not work there 5 years ago, and if he did, was he the one who placed the orders from the supplier? I doubt it.

Look to the house to tell the story. If the copper is lightly tarnished, it could be location near the beach. On the other hand, it could be 20 sheets of GWB out of 600 in the whole house. If there is heavy corrosion on copper in the house then it is a possible hazard to people. Regardless of which the building systems are compromised. How would you feel if you bought a new house and had to replace the pipes, HVAC, and structural components every 5 years? Should the buyer be strapped with this higher maintenance requirement?

People’s health is another issue all together. Is it like Mold a decade ago? Maybe. Unfortunately, like the video a couple of weeks ago (in another string) about asbestos siding materials in the 40's and 50's it was the miracle product. Today we have a different opinion.

Use caution when making the call on Chinese drywall. The repair is strip the house to the studs, replace the copper, and start over. It is a big call, and right now the question is who covers the price.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Unless they're couillon.

Marc

I agree, just calling someone that just randomly answers a phone is not the most scientific way of figuring out if a particular house has tainted GWB. Even if they did ship bad GWB, they would not tell you. Heck the person answering the phone probably did not work there 5 years ago, and if he did, was he the one who placed the orders from the supplier? I doubt it.

Look to the house to tell the story. If the copper is lightly tarnished, it could be location near the beach. On the other hand, it could be 20 sheets of GWB out of 600 in the whole house. If there is heavy corrosion on copper in the house then it is a possible hazard to people. Regardless of which the building systems are compromised. How would you feel if you bought a new house and had to replace the pipes, HVAC, and structural components every 5 years? Should the buyer be strapped with this higher maintenance requirement?

People’s health is another issue all together. Is it like Mold a decade ago? Maybe. Unfortunately, like the video a couple of weeks ago (in another string) about asbestos siding materials in the 40's and 50's it was the miracle product. Today we have a different opinion.

Use caution when making the call on Chinese drywall. The repair is strip the house to the studs, replace the copper, and start over. It is a big call, and right now the question is who covers the price.

You guys must have horrible phone interview skills if you don't know how to go about asking those questions. Take it from an ex-detective - they'll tell you whether they have or haven't. Lying about it gets them nowhere. Ask the right questions the right way and they will tell you.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike