New light.

palmettoinspect

Nice! Black & Decker makes some pretty decent rechargeable Million candle power lights like yours for a whopping $20.00 +/ I started using 1 Million candle power plus lights in crawlspaces about three or four years ago, and to be without one now is like being blind. It's cool to pan the crawlspace once you're in and see see most of the termite tubes, cracks and stains before you ever begin crawling. After the initial scan, I rely on a strap on head light and only fire up the big boy when needed to preserve the battery.

Most of the termite guys here are still using mags, and I couldn't imagine doing a termite inspection without a million candle plus light.

Some of the Streamlights use xenon bulbs. I just put my UltraStingers out to pasture after getting the Fenix TK30. The LED bulb is the way to go.

Neal's right. Hi-power LEDs triumps all else. Mine has a 4 LED light source and illuminates a stop sign at night from about 3/8 of a mile away.

Marc

Some of the Streamlights use xenon bulbs. I just put my UltraStingers out to pasture after getting the Fenix TK30. The LED bulb is the way to go.

Neal's right. Hi-power LEDs triumps all else. Mine has a 4 LED light source and illuminates a stop sign at night from about 3/8 of a mile away.

Marc

Aren't the LED lights a rather tight beam? (I haven't owned one so I honestly don't know). The nice thing about the million candle and over lights is that they turn an entire quadrant of a crawlspace from night to day. But, they can't be used for more than maybe thirty minutes total without a recharge.

Marc

Aren't the LED lights a rather tight beam? (I haven't owned one so I honestly don't know). The nice thing about the million candle and over lights is that they turn an entire quadrant of a crawlspace from night to day. But, they can't be used for more than maybe thirty minutes total without a recharge.

I've owned rechargeable 1 million candle watt lights and your right they don't last. I turned this thing on tonight and it lights the entire street. I've never witnessed anything this bright. That's what sold me on this light compared to other rechargeable million candle watt lights. It claims 1 hour run time on a fully charged battery. Ryobi claims it 2,800 lumens.

Marc

I've owned rechargeable 1 million candle watt lights and your right they don't last. I turned this thing on tonight and it lights the entire street. I've never witnessed anything this bright. That's what sold me on this light compared to other rechargeable million candle watt lights. It claims 1 hour run time on a fully charged battery. Ryobi claims it 2,800 lumens.

Then I must have one. You simply can't have too much light in a crawlspace. Thanks for the heads up.

They sure do have a tight beam, Mike. The 1,000,000 CP's are a shotgun approach and has it's advantages. It took me a while to get used to the LED HP's confined beam but eventually I was glad to get rid of the weight and short battery life of the 1,000,000 CP. I carry but one light now for everything, the LED Hi Power and it's great. During inspections, I carry it on a screwdriver slot on my tool pouch. Otherwise, it sits on it's charger on a tool caddy in the back seat, permanently plugged into the cig lighter. It charges whenever the engine is running, won't overcharge and the battery hasn't run down for the first time yet since I bought it several months ago. 2 hr battery life on hi beam, 7 hrs on low beam. Sometimes I have to use low beam in the house or it'll blind me.

Marc

They sure do have a tight beam, Mike. The 1,000,000 CP's are a shotgun approach and has it's advantages. It took me a while to get used to the LED HP's confined beam but eventually I was glad to get rid of the weight and short battery life of the 1,000,000 CP. I carry but one light now for everything, the LED Hi Power and it's great. During inspections, I carry it on a screwdriver slot on my tool pouch. Otherwise, it sits on it's charger on a tool caddy in the back seat, permanently plugged into the cig lighter. It charges whenever the engine is running, won't overcharge and the battery hasn't run down for the first time yet since I bought it several months ago. 2 hr battery life on hi beam, 7 hrs on low beam. Sometimes I have to use low beam in the house or it'll blind me.

Marc

I just picked up a StreamLight Strion LED light at Batteries Plus. That things rediculous.[:-thumbu]

I've got an older (5 years) Strion that is the classic bulb. Still crazy bright, but the battery is getting weak, and won't stay on for more than a couple hours. I'm thinking about buying a new battery and trying to convert it to a LED, need to call Streamlight and see if it's possible.

• 2 months later...

I wanted to do a quick update since I’ve been issuing this light for a few weeks. I’m very impressed with this light. I recently picked up a lithium ion battery for the light and it really does last 1 hour compared to the 30-40 min run time of the ni-cad battery that I initially used with it. The lithium battery has a fuel gauge on it that has really come in handy and helps knowing how much time you have left. I actually used my small LED light in a smaller crawlspace and realized how much I like the bigger light. If you already have 18v ryobi batteries this light is a must. Even if you go buy the light battery and charger for around $150 it’s still not a bad deal.

Thanks,

Kiel

I wanted to do a quick update since I’ve been issuing this light for a few weeks. I’m very impressed with this light. I recently picked up a lithium ion battery for the light and it really does last 1 hour compared to the 30-40 min run time of the ni-cad battery that I initially used with it. The lithium battery has a fuel gauge on it that has really come in handy and helps knowing how much time you have left. I actually used my small LED light in a smaller crawlspace and realized how much I like the bigger light. If you already have 18v ryobi batteries this light is a must. Even if you go buy the light battery and charger for around $150 it’s still not a bad deal.

Thanks,

Kiel

I've been monitoring that same lithium battery for my 18 Volt Ryobi driver drill. It's on my list.

Marc