Instant light pole. Just add water

gtblum

I'm having one hell of a time trying to word this in my report without being a complete wise ass. A little help, please.

At least they left some slack in the wiring for the trees to grow!

As long as the fixture is securely mounted on the tree, the only concern I'd have is the poor protection of the cable. If this is sunlight resistant UF cable, I'd probably recommend more frequent supports and conduit from 18" underground to about 8" above ground.

Believe it or not the NEC allows fixtures to be mounted on trees.

410.36 (G) Trees. Outdoor luminaires and associated equipment shall be permitted to be supported by trees.

I'm not sure if you were joking about the growth of the tree. As Chad pointed out, the tree will grow from the top. If you drive a nail into the trunk of the tree at a point 6' off the ground, the nail will still be 6' off the ground as long as the tree continues to live.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

410.36 (G) Trees. Outdoor luminaires and associated equipment shall be permitted to be supported by trees.

Amazing! See? I learn ten new things a day here.

It's hard to believe they would bless that off given the number of things that could happen to a living tree. They're full of water, The stability, constant movement during the growth process ect.

Not being a smartass here. Do they have standards for species or the minimum height / size, clearance, or other?

Interesting, Thanks.

Amazing! See? I learn ten new things a day here.

It's hard to believe they would bless that off given the number of things that could happen to a living tree. They're full of water, The stability, constant movement during the growth process ect.

Not being a smartass here. Do they have standards for species or the minimum height / size, clearance, or other?

No, species aren't mentioned. I suppose they consider that to be a design issue. Clearance would be addressed elsewhere, as for any other fixture.

They also allow trees to support cables & other conductors for temporary "holiday lighting" as long as "the conductors or cables are arranged with proper strain relief devices, tension take-up devices, or other approved means to avoid damage from the movement of the live vegetation."

Other than that, though, trees aren't supposed to be used for the support of overhead conductors (225.26), including service conductors (230.10)

- Jim Katen, Oregon