Suspected Gray Water System

mgbinspect

I haven't run across a suspected gray water system in about ten years.

This laundry tub is in an attached garage - an addition. The original attached garage was converted to a recreation room.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2010831105120_laundrytub.jpg

40.83 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201083110524_laundrydrain.jpg

57.25 KB

The drain line for it goes directly out the rear foundation wall and turns down through a concrete landing slab.

The home is on septic and the main line leaving the crawlspace for the septic tank is at the opposite end of the home. Of course, it could join up with the main drain line headed to the septic tank, but it's not likely, since it means they'd have to run the pipe underground for about forty-five feet.

No evidence of a gray water sump was obvious. My guess is that it's just under the slab. The present owner of the home said it made sense, because when they were planting near the deck the soil seemed unusually wet once they got down a bit.

The previous seller did other cheesy things like tap a cut off extension cord into the water heater breaker for incoming generator current, so I think a gray water system is a pretty good bet here.

So you do you think the pipe in photo 2 disperses water directly into the soil by the deck? If so I would not consider it a gray water system.

'There's no easy way of knowing, but the common gray water system from days gone by would be something like a buried perforated fifty-five gallon drum filled with and surrounded by gravel.

I am, however, not eluding to any approved eco system that might be a good thing. This would be a jerry rigged system, which has not been approved in our area for quite some time.

Out of curiosity how did you write it up, and what were your suggestions?

"The drain line for the utility sink in the attached garage does not appear to join up with the central waste water system. It may go to a gray water system - a sump designed to re-introduce the water directly to the earth. These systems were common many years ago, but are no longer approved in most areas. Attach the drain line to the central waste water system."

. . . "The drain line for the utility sink in the attached garage does not appear to join up with the central waste water system. It may go to a gray water system . . .

I think you should have used "might" instead of "may." With "may," you're saying the opposite of what you intend.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

. . . "The drain line for the utility sink in the attached garage does not appear to join up with the central waste water system. It may go to a gray water system . . .

I think you should have used "might" instead of "may." With "may," you're saying the opposite of what you intend.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Great catch! Thanks. It's too late for this report, but I'll make that needed change in the smart-comments.

Thanks Jim. [:-graduat

. . . Great catch! Thanks. It's too late for this report, but I'll make that needed change in the smart-comments.

It's a trap that I fall into all the time. Sometimes, if I have time before sending out a report, I'll do a search for "may." I nearly always find at least one place where I misused it.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

. . . Great catch! Thanks. It's too late for this report, but I'll make that needed change in the smart-comments.

It's a trap that I fall into all the time. Sometimes, if I have time before sending out a report, I'll do a search for "may." I nearly always find at least one place where I misused it.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Well, since writing is a passion to me (even if it isn't obvious [:-wiltel]), PLEASE never hesitate to polish my word-smithing. It will ALWAYS be welcome and greatly appreciated.

. . . Well, since writing is a passion to me (even if it isn't obvious [:-wiltel]), PLEASE never hesitate to polish my word-smithing. It will ALWAYS be welcome and greatly appreciated.

In general, I don't have time to polish my own writing. Far too many mistakes are passing through my outbox these days.

However, I couldn't help but notice that you tended to mix up "elude" and "allude" twice in the last 24 hrs. Also, "fewer" and "less" this morning.

- Jim in Oregon

(Used up my grammar advice for the week.)

. . . Well, since writing is a passion to me (even if it isn't obvious [:-wiltel]), PLEASE never hesitate to polish my word-smithing. It will ALWAYS be welcome and greatly appreciated.

In general, I don't have time to polish my own writing. Far too many mistakes are passing through my outbox these days.

However, I couldn't help but notice that you tended to mix up "elude" and "allude" twice in the last 24 hrs. Also, "fewer" and "less" this morning.

- Jim in Oregon

(Used up my grammar advice for the week.)

[:-thumbu]

That's precisely what I'm talking about. Be merciless. Crack the whip. I'll thank you for it.

That's precisely what I'm talking about. Be merciless. Crack the whip. I'll thank you for it.

You could possibly use "could possibly" in place of "may". It could possibly seem more intelligent than "might" to some people.

Now what's a better way to say "raised foundation"? A lady called and wanted to know how I could say the house had been jacked up. [:)]