Prohibition on range and dishwasher side by side?

Inspectorjoe

I got a call from a now-homeowner about an issue with her house that I inspected this past April. She decided to replace her aging electric range and dishwasher. Two different big box stores were ready to sell her new ones, but when they found out the range and dishwasher were next to each other, said they couldn't install them because "it's against code". I asked the buyer what code they were referring to, but she didn't ask them.

I have never heard of such a thing. I spent over half an hour looking online, but the only thing I found were a few pictures of recent installations of ranges and dishwashers installed side by side. Maybe I was using the wrong search terms. I also downloaded dishwasher and range installation instructions from several manufacturers. There were no prohibition on side by side installations there.

Has anyone ever heard of this prohibition?

The only problem I can think of is if the range were between the dishwasher & the sink. It'd be difficult to run the water supply & drain lines past the range.

Otherwise, I'd think you'd need a base end panel to support the countertop above the dishwasher but, other than that, I don't see the problem. There are no clearance requirements for either appliance. (Unless it's a commercial range.)

It wouldn't be my ideal arrangement for a kitchen, but I don't see why there'd be a rule against it.

Perhaps you should just call the box store & speak with appliance boy.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

I think Jim highlighted the problem of the need for a panel to support the counter top. Removing a base unit allows room for the dishwasher, but there may not be sufficient counter top length for for the dishwasher and the panel. It's probably Orange Store Code to not install in this configuration as there is extra time and material involved.

Posted - Sep 27 2010 : 1:44:50 PM

I think Jim highlighted the problem of the need for a panel to support the counter top. Removing a base unit allows room for the dishwasher, but there may not be sufficient counter top length for for the dishwasher and the panel. It's probably Orange Store Code to not install in this configuration as there is extra time and material involved.

I believe you missed the point that there is currently a dishwasher installed--this is just a change-out.

For the time being at least, there's still an independent appliance dealer in town. I dropped in today (and did some refrigerator browsing while I was there). The owner confirmed that there's no prohibition on installing a range and dishwasher next to each other. He said the big box stores probably won't do it because they typically only want to do the most straight-forward, simple installations.

I'm stopping at an Orange Apron tomorrow to hear it straight from the horse's mouth.