something completely different

Originally posted by kurt

Where's the catalytic converter? But seriously folks.......

Looks like Monster Garage Upstate NY version. Where can I get one?

Kurt..the converter is in the back for weight.

The engine and transmission are out of a 1966 International 1700 series. The rear end, front end, front half of the chassis and roof are 1970 Scout.

I wanted it really maneuverable so the wheel base is even shorter than a Scout. I made the rear driveshaft...it's only about 16 inches long.

All the body work (term loosely applied) is supported by 1-1/2 electrical conduit that was laying around and I bent up on my exhaust pipe bender. The body panels are lexan that I cut out of old signs and screwed and glued to the frame work. The pictures I posted before had the front body panels removed for maintenance. It weighs only about 2200 lbs and to say its over powered would be an understatement. Cost.. zero dollars.

I had to add a thousand pounds to the back because every time I popped the clutch in reverse with the plow up, the rear end lifted off the ground. Slight design error.

Tires,Firestone towne and country snows, rayon. Last made in 1971. I have about thirty more E78-15's if some of you want to build your own.

Chad, you sound like my brother. A high school drop-out, self-taught machinist who has several patents. Your project reminds me of the old 3 cylinder industrial diesel engine he modified and installed in a 1964 Ford pick-up. He designed and built the manifolds and everything else in his 20x30 backyard shop. The pick-up has made several trips between California and Montana without a problem.

He got all the "genius" genes in the family. I'm doing good to safely wield a screwdriver.

Chad, it's cool as can be. I had an old scout in the 70's, one of my most memorable transportation units. That, and one of those old postal deliver wagons w/the seats on the right side & the doors that slid back; powered by a 4 cylinder Chevy something or other.

While virtually any wooden assembly or building construction trade comes naturally, I am steel & internal combustion challenged. That hasn't stopped me from dreaming though. I've saved my old '94 4 Runner w/the fantasy of chopping it into some sort of surf wagon; the drive train is still excellent, but the excessive dog drool & 80 pounds of greasy dirt ground into every element of the interior prevents me from using it for business. Fantasy, because I don't even own a complete set of open end wrenches, let alone machine shop equipment. My days of welding (I was passable) are somewhere about 30 years in the past. I look @ cars the same way I look @ computers; if it hiccups, I buy a new one.

If you were gonna chop an old 4 Runner, what would you do?