Another bleepin ladder post.

Ben H

Check this out guys. I'm shopping for one of those new fangled telescoping ladders all the kids have now a days and came across this.

This is a prime example of why you must shop carefully on e-bay. At first glance this seems like the deal of the year. A 12 ft Xtend and Climb for a buck fifty shipped? Hell yeah, I'm in. But don't click that buy it now button so fast. Look closely and read carefully. It's a knock-off ladder. BUT......

The real Xtend and Climbs are made in China. I'll bet dollars to donuts this one is too. Who thinks they roll out of the same factory?[:-blindfo I'd say it's plausible.

I thought I'd share and maybe you folks that actually have a real X&C could look at that tiny pic, and give up a comparison.

Ladder

The picture is of the 15.5' model (rated at 250lb). Also, as Rob said, the max rating is 300lbs for a "contractor grade" 12.5' model which is much heavier ladder than the 24lb quoted.

I'm really not sure what that all adds up to. A knock-off, or someone who has gotten hold of a bunch on the cheap and just doesn't know he's talking about? My bet would be the latter. BTW...if you put "extend & climb" into E-bays search box there are also some at $93.99 or under $120 with shipping. It looks like the same guy though.

Maybe 3 or 4 years ago, I found a vendor with Telesteps on sale for $100. I bought 2, sold one, and kept the other as a backup (still unused). They sure seem like the real thing. I should have bought more.

I would say at $120, it's worth the gamble. Just don't expect the heavy duty model.

It must be my eyes Ben, but where does it say or why do you believe it's a knock-off?

HEAVY DUTY EXTEND AND CLIMB TELESCOPIC STYLE LADDER

The real ladders are Xtend, no E in the name. You might be right Carey, it may be real, and the seller just doesn't know how to spell.

Anybody can make a spelling error. For instance my name is spelled "Cary" not "Carey"[;)]

It must be my eyes Ben, but where does it say or why do you believe it's a knock-off?

HEAVY DUTY EXTEND AND CLIMB TELESCOPIC STYLE LADDER

The real ladders are Xtend, no E in the name. You might be right Carey, it may be real, and the seller just doesn't know how to spell.

Anybody can make a spelling error. For instance my name is spelled "Cary" not "Carey"[;)]

Touché[:-paperba

The other part that makes me think I might get took is the fact that this seller list all auctions private, and there doesn't seem to be the link for "ask seller a question". I've been buying and selling on Ebay for years, I think my rating has tipped 500. I've yet to be burned. But on the other hand even if it is fake, if it's built half decent, my 180 pounds 3 times a week in a attic hole shouldn't be too hard on it.

. . . But on the other hand even if it is fake, if it's built half decent, my 180 pounds 3 times a week in a attic hole shouldn't be too hard on it.

Ah, but the question is: When it fails & you fall down, will the floor be too hard on you?

Point taken Jim. I don't know why I'm trying to talk myself into a junk ladder. I don't buy cheap tools, period. A ladder is no different.