Insulation Identification

gtblum

Here's a better question;

Do any of you guys ever point out the fact that practically anywhere they are in an urban environment they've been breathing asbestos fibers every day of their lives and will continue to do so until the day they leave the planet?

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Where does that fact come from?

Marc

Uh, hello? Earth to Marc,...earth to Marc,...come in, Marc!

When all of those brake pads on automobiles wore out over the past 100 years where do you think all that asbestos dust went?

Back in the day before they'd realized asbestos caused cancer, where do you think that cloud of dust blown out of brake drums in every auto shop on the planet went?

Back before they knew it caused cancer and they demolished buildings with it wrapped around the pipe, where do you think all that dust went?

These are just a few examples, I could keep this up all day long.

Trying not to be exposed to asbestos fiber is like trying not to be exposed to mold. It ain't gonna happen - it's ubiquitous in our environment.

Sure, EPA and the scientists won't come right out and say it; what would be the point of panicking people over something that we caused that can't be controlled?

They have a town north of me where asbestos is naturally occurring in the soil and minerals in the land and they say the whole area is contaminated with it. When they'd discovered that, some folks packed up and moved away and left their homes to be foreclosed on. Can you imagine what would happen if folks realized how prevalent asbestos is in the environment?

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

I see.... it comes from you. Ok, that's alright. Just wanted to know, is all.

Marc

From me? Seriously? Do you really think I routinely use 25-cent words like ubiguitous? Here's one of many many many documents that tell you that it's everywhere.

http://www.particleandfibretoxicology.com/content/2/1/9

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Here's a better question;

Do any of you guys ever point out the fact that practically anywhere they are in an urban environment they've been breathing asbestos fibers every day of their lives and will continue to do so until the day they leave the planet?

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

While that's probably true, it's pretty danged far outside the scope of a home inspection. I think I get the point you're making, but if you're going to say something like that in a report, you might as well include a local crime rate and background radiation summary in there as well. Where does it end?

I am content with giving homebuyers a link to whatever the best and brightest at the EPA are saying at the moment when I see something that looks like asbestos. What more can a conscientious HI really do?

Jimmy

Hi Cuz,

The point is only to help client to get real. I actually had a lady once who started staggering like a drunk after I'd pointed out some asbestos floor tile in her basement; she'd been trying to hold her breath so she wouldn't be exposed.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

I call your vermuclite picture and raise you double.

So I almost never go to East St. Louis - but hey times are slow so I figured why not. Maybe the worst house I've ever seen, on the top 5 list for sure. The buyer forgot she had scheduled me... There was a guy there with demo tools tearing everything out and dust everywhere... Holes in the floor big enough to fall through... I drove home.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2010112123951_084.jpg

67.64 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2010112124348_083.jpg

60.22 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2010112123828_081.jpg

59.63 KB

I call your vermuclite picture and raise you double.

So I almost never go to East St. Louis - but hey times are slow so I figured why not. Maybe the worst house I've ever seen, on the top 5 list for sure. The buyer forgot she had scheduled me... There was a guy there with demo tools tearing everything out and dust everywhere... Holes in the floor big enough to fall through... I drove home.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2010112123951_084.jpg

67.64 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2010112124348_083.jpg

60.22 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2010112123828_081.jpg

59.63 KB

You're wrong! And I know an insulation contractor who will say so.