Sun Dial furnace by Square D Company ?

Nolan Kienitz

• 2 months later...

Well,

According to the site History of the Industry's Brands located at

http://www.johnmills.net/work/history.html

Square D production resumed as Sun Dial Manufacturing then stopped in the 1980s. Resumed from what I don't know. I've read through every brand on the site; and, unless I've missed it, I don't see Square D listed anywhere else.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

How old was the house?

Don't see that many but it doesn't bother me to report the age of an electric furnace as unknown. If the elements were drawing appropriate amps, the blower wasn't making any odd noises and you were getting heated air at the registers, there's not a lot else to worry about.

I agree, they aren't much more than a huge toaster with a blower attached. They'll last as long as an electrician can get replacement parts; and, since those replaceable parts are pretty much all stock off-the-shelf electrical components that can be a long time before parts are no longer made or in stock.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

How old was the house?

Don't see that many but it doesn't bother me to report the age of an electric furnace as unknown. If the elements were drawing appropriate amps, the blower wasn't making any odd noises and you were getting heated air at the registers, there's not a lot else to worry about.

I agree, they aren't much more than a huge toaster with a blower attached. They'll last as long as an electrician can get replacement parts; and, since those replaceable parts are pretty much all stock off-the-shelf electrical components that can be a long time before parts are no longer made or in stock.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Coincidence, I had one yesterday, a 1972 Duo-matic according to the manual that came with it. I can't see any relationship to the year in the serial #. Nice unit for 39 years old. Like you said, Mike, it's a giant toaster.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011422185419_duomatic1.jpg

69.62 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011422185441_duomatic2.jpg

56.69 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201142218556_label.jpg

64.44 KB

It may have been built in '74, as that is when the house was first occupied.

Back then we manufactured these products in our own country. Weird, eh?