When cast iron goes bad...

AHI in AR

I'm wondering if that pipe was pitched properly. That's what happens after years of standing water.

Actually, the section pictured was sloped correctly. It was 55 years old -- a little premature for most failures of this type that I see.

My inspection this morning of a different home (roughly similar age) did have a replaced section that wasn't well done. One end of the cast iron wasn't re-supported after being replaced by PVC. The "plumber" apparently decided that ductwork was a good support. It may be hard to tell in the photo, but the drain flow was downhill from left to right.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011321231824_HPIM3029.jpg

62.61 KB

I look at a lot of cast iron and most of it is still in pretty good shape, some of it well over fifty. I also find lots of galvinized, which almost always looks like that on the horizontals.

In my own house I have cast. One problem I had was a crack at the top of the pipe, likely a bad casting. Unless the pipe fills to the top you'll never see it leak.