Shingle Sense

Les

First off, I have no pictures. I have been enjoined from photos at this time.

I have a 9/12 slope with round eaves and rounded gables. Radius is approx 12" on gable ends. There is a 40yr laminated asphalt shingle wrapped around this radius on gable ends, perpendicular to overhang. Shingle is likely nailed to decking and several places around the radius to hold the mat down. The laminated portions are not wide enough to make the bend, so they are sticking out from mat. Looks like a porcupine's back. Some of the laminations are face nailed with a 6p box nail on surface.

Would an ordinary inspector on a regular day call this as problematic? Or might the inspector say "The work was done by a licensed roofer and it's warranteed. The main part of roof doesn't leak and the gable ends are for looks only".

Would that make sense to you?

Would an ordinary inspector on a regular day call this as problematic? Or might the inspector say "The work was done by a licensed roofer and it's warranteed. The main part of roof doesn't leak and the gable ends are for looks only".

That would depend on the definiton of "ordinary".

If ordinary in this case means an inspector so entrenched in nepotism to uncle Realtor,then his assessment seems reasonable.

Or if the inspector has so much money that he's actually trying to pay for water damage, it also seems reasonable.

If Michigan has almost no rain, snow or wind..then it'd be OK too.

Well,

We are said to get a fair amount of rain out here in Seattle and I've seen about a half dozen of these. It's almost always on houses built in the 20's and 30's. I've always expressed a little pessimism about the concept in my reports, but they're all holding up. In fact, I stopped by one of my former client's house one day as I was driving by and asked about the roof. He said it has been great. Go figure.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike