I am guessing this will be a pain to replace.

Robert Jones

Hi Robert,

I've seen a few of those. Most of the time they are in a nasty hole dug in the ground that's lined with plywood or something else that's eventually going to cave in, and they usually don't have anti-backflow valves on them and are pretty jack legged. I saw one though that was nicely placed at the bottom of a crib built from CMU's stacked in a circle and mortared up. The pump was solidly stabilized by being clamped to a piece of rebar that spanned the well and the whole arrangement had been wrapped with geo-textile fabric and was surrounded by a 1ft. thick layer of quarter stone that was also wrapped with GT fabric. The cable feeding it went below grade in conduit and was GFCI protected and they had a nice pre-cast reinforced concrete lid on the thing with rebar handles cast into it. It was too heavy for a kid to lift but with a little effort I was able to swing it out of the way to inspect it without throwing my back out.

Unless you can see it and know how it's been installed, just say that it's inaccessible for inspection and is excluded from the scope of the inspection per WAC 308-408C-030(1)(12) and WAC 308-408C-100(2)(b)(ii).

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Robert,

This reminds me; you'd asked for some boilerplate a while back. I don't really have any. I have however written about this on occassion in some reports. I'll so a word search for "sump pump" and see what I can come up with. In the meantime, I'm emailing you an illustrated article that I found on the Popular Mechanics site that I think you'll find useful.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike