Horizontal stacked Terra Cotta

There's an older thread at https://www.inspectorsjournal.com/forum ... ic_id=9211 . Bill's post (the second) contains a chart of tests done with the "flues" both vertical and horizontal. Frankly, the results from that seem more than a little inconclusive but it does suggest that blocks are/were used in both orientations.

I think our Mr Kibbel will have some definitive answers on this.

Yes, they can be used in both orientations.

Pass your cursor over "Library" on the menu bar above to reveal the library sub-menu and then choose "downloads" on the far left. Scroll all the way down until you find the document entitled FM5-428 US Army Concrete and Masonry Field Manual.

This is a 323 page manual full of old school methods and instructions for concrete and masonry. Choose that, wait for your computer to open the entire document - it will take a while if you don't have a fast processor - and then scroll down to page 297 - the Chapter on Structural Clay Tile - where you'll find methods and instructions for working with that material.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Yes, they can be used in both orientations.

Pass your cursor over "Library" on the menu bar above to reveal the library sub-menu and then choose "downloads" on the far left. Scroll all the way down until you find the document entitled FM5-428 US Army Concrete and Masonry Field Manual.

This is a 323 page manual full of old school methods and instructions for concrete and masonry. Choose that, wait for your computer to open the entire document - it will take a while if you don't have a fast processor - and then scroll down to page 297 - the Chapter on Structural Clay Tile - where you'll find methods and instructions for working with that material.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Thanks!

I saw you refer to this manual in another post about terra cotta blocks. I did a google search for it with no luck and I was about to order a copy on Amazon. I'll print it out and put it next to the stucco info I got from the TJI library so I can read it while dropping the kid off at the pool.

Kiel

The compressive strength of structural terra cotta blocks has little to do with the cells being vertical or horizontal. Selecting the blocks for structural applications was based on the thickness of the shell and webs and the method of mixing and firing the clay. (Some were mixed with sawdust that burned off when fired, resulting in a lighter, but weaker product).

More often than not, the blocks were laid with the cells horizontal. It resulted in a far superior bedding joint than when vertical.