waste stack transition

Ken Meyer

All of the old DWV piping in the house has been replaced with ABS except for a 3' or so section of the waste stack vent through the roof. Aside from the fact that the cast iron section is unsupported and distorting the neoprene reducing fitting, is it acceptable to reduce the waste vent stack like this?

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011617163012_P6170159%20copy.jpg

42.74 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011617163038_P6170161%20copy.jpg

42.89 KB

Is it typical to upsize the vent going through the roof? Climate here is similar and we don't do that. Looks to me like someone was just lazy and left the top of the cast iron, without supporting it, and now it's crushing the rubber. It may survive a while but it sure lacks class.

No, not normal at all. Is it normal for folks in snow country-- I thought I heard that somewhere?

The main stack would have originally been cast iron, and it's goofy to have not replaced just the small top section. Ken may have gotten lucky....had they replaced the entire thing, he may not have had a clue that the vent is/may be improperly sized.

I think when that rubber boot finally lets go, there will be a heck of a crash up in the attic.

The cast iron pipe has dropped, so the flashing up on the roof should be checked as well.

If that is still the main stack, it should probably be 3" ABS all the way, but it really depends on what is being vented. What Brandon said.

Is it typical to upsize the vent going through the roof? Climate here is similar and we don't do that. Looks to me like someone was just lazy and left the top of the cast iron, without supporting it, and now it's crushing the rubber. It may survive a while but it sure lacks class.

No, not normal at all. Is it normal for folks in snow country-- I thought I heard that somewhere?

Yes, to prevent frost closure.