Beveled Siding

kurt

Gun/brad nailers don't shoot hot dipped nails.

Marc

I'm pretty sure that's how the one's I use, stick together. http://www.paslode.com/nails/16-gauge-angled-finish/

I can't say they would be my first choice for an install, but I've repaired some split pieces of my siding with them.

I've also had more than one battle trying to pull one back out. Good luck with that.

Collated nails for guns are dipped in an adhesive, not hot dip galvanized. Finish nails rated for exterior use in your Paslode are either EG or SS.

They might be acceptable for a little fix, but they won't hold that siding on for very long.

Check Gary's link. Paslode has 'hot dipped' framing gun nails. I doubt they have as much zinc as hand driven hot dipped though, and no one uses framing nails for wood siding anyway. [:-bigeyes

Marc

Collated nails for guns are dipped in an adhesive, not hot dip galvanized. Finish nails rated for exterior use in your Paslode are either EG or SS.

They might be acceptable for a little fix, but they won't hold that siding on for very long.

As I said. Not my choice for an install. So, what's your point?

I respect and don't challenge your knowledge of the written word on products.

Don't fall into a trap of believing everything you read.

I'm pretty sure you saw the "almighty cement fiber siding" fall apart in a cup of water after four hours, when I did.

The nails are wrong. We know that.

Is the siding going to fall off because of them?.

My experience tells me, if they're not driven too deep and there's enough of them, not likely. They're still galvanized.

Anyone who get's focused on the sentence above, should re-read the underlined, and try not to get confused about the reference to the junk siding. I know we're talking about wood here

I have Paslode guns, they're junk. The OP specifically mentioned finish nails, and those are not available dipped.

Really? I've been beating on them for years. I wouldn't trade them for anyting else out there.

Who gives a rats ass if they're dipped? They're galvanized!

Ease up. I just want to know about nails.

The plated roofing nails roofers use nowadays in their nail guns get rusty in my climate in about a month. I know because I see them layng around on the new roofs all the time and they're always rusting. Old-fashioned Hot-dipped galvanized nails can lay there for years, no rust.

In my mind, at least, siding nails have a rounded head, like a mushroom or a round head screw, and they are hot-dipped. The round head allows you to drive the head into the siding just a bit.

If they have a head like a finishing nail, but galvanized, they are casing nails, for trim and such, but not siding.

Nail guns need to be adjusted to drive the nails the right depth. Everybody knows this, so why? I had nail pops on the roof I inspected this AM, but just on the first 3 rows, then NumbNuts took the time to set up the gun. Well now, he's going to honor the guarantee and come back to fix it like he should have the first time, hopefully.

Update - he did go back. Then he phoned me to whine about my overhang comments. [:)]

I frequently use hot-dip galvanized ring-shank siding nails in coils, and sometimes stainless. To my knowledge there aren't any hot-dip finish nails for guns, but they do make stainless. They won't hold siding on but they are useful for smaller trim pieces that don't want big nail heads showing. They do not hold the way an old school hand-drive finish nail does. If you saw siding nailed with a finish gun, it's because someone didn't own a siding gun, and doesn't plan on coming back to fix their siding when it starts pulling off. I often see siding stapled with narrow or medium crown staples, which may be either stainless or electro-galv. Ack! You need quite a collection of nail guns before you have one for every situation, and some things just need hand drive nails no matter what.