Square D - Double Tap

JohnC

I know some square d breakers allow two wires. I wanted opinions if this if one does. My interpretation looking at the label is that it does. But shouldn’t the wires be on either side of the nut. They also have three wires going into a couple of these breakers which isn’t right.

Thanks,

John Callan

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif Square D.JPG

161.1 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201172004632_square%20d%20(2).jpg

39.98 KB

That is the Homeline model breaker. It has a little symbol on the right showing two stripped ends above "Cu" which I think means you can tuck 2 copper leads in. The plate under the screw has two dimples, one each side of the screw.

You are right on all counts. Two wires are allowed, but 3 or two twisted together are wrong and need to be fixed.

I know some square d breakers allow two wires. I wanted opinions if this if one does. My interpretation looking at the label is that it does. But shouldn’t the wires be on either side of the nut. They also have three wires going into a couple of these breakers which isn’t right.

Thanks,

John Callan

Those breakers do allow two wires but, as you say, they should be on either side of the nut and under the little saddle.

The breakers in your pictures are incorrectly installed.

Those breakers do allow two wires but, as you say, they should be on either side of the nut and under the little saddle.

The breakers in your pictures are incorrectly installed.

Do you mean to say, among other things, that the saddles are missing?

Marc