Distorted Torsion Spring

Jim Katen

It's way over wound. The norm is one full turn for each foot of height, plus a quarter turn to keep tension on the cables when the door is open. That's gotta be closer to 3 or 4 turns per foot.

In that condition it is exerting lateral forces on the three bearings and the drums that the hardware was not designed to withstand, and it's obviously shortening the service life of the spring. If there is an opener connected it is being over worked as well, with potential to damage the gear kit and drive chain.

I'd expect a service call and new spring to start at about $200, but it could be lots more. Someone has been 'fixing' things they don't understand.

It's way over wound. The norm is one full turn for each foot of height, plus a quarter turn to keep tension on the cables when the door is open. That's gotta be closer to 3 or 4 turns per foot.

In that condition it is exerting lateral forces on the three bearings and the drums that the hardware was not designed to withstand, and it's obviously shortening the service life of the spring. If there is an opener connected it is being over worked as well, with potential to damage the gear kit and drive chain.

I'd expect a service call and new spring to start at about $200, but it could be lots more. Someone has been 'fixing' things they don't understand.

Thanks. Makes sense. The doors were brand spanking new. I understand that the seller's father is a contractor. I suspect that he installed these his-self.

. . . along with the brand new tile shower pan that leaks like a sieve and the brand new deck roof that he hung off of a fascia board . . .

• 1 month later...

OK, it seems that the springs were wound backwards - the installer was twisting them in the wrong direction to "tighten" them - and, yes, the seller's father (a licensed contractor) installed them.

They called a real garage door installer to fix them and, what do you know, at the reinspection I could raise & lower each of the doors with one finger.

OK, it seems that the springs were wound backwards - the installer was twisting them in the wrong direction to "tighten" them - and, yes, the seller's father (a licensed contractor) installed them.

They called a real garage door installer to fix them and, what do you know, at the reinspection I could raise & lower each of the doors with one finger.

Duh-that would explain the spaces between the coils.