heat pump operation

macs100

If the heat pump itself is not running, and it's 67-70 in the house, sounds like the aux heat strips are on in spite of no red light. That'll spin the electric meter nicely. In our climate you should have no heat strips running if it's warmer than 35 outside, possibly lower. If you have a 60 amp and 30 amp breaker for the heating system, try turning off the 60 and see what happens. If the fan keeps running but the house starts to get cold, that's something to know.

So that is what I think. It has been mild here, so we set the t stat to 50, if it is set any higher, the temp really goes up. Today I did what you suggested, and yes, if the 60 amp is on, then the furnace is on and turning the meter nicely. If only the 30 amp is on, then nothing, no fan, no meter spinning. The meter spins almost as fast or equal to the water heater if it is the only thing on. What baffles me is why the furnace stays on, 24 hours when we set it to auto or on or recirc, it seems to just keep running. It seems to me if it was just the fan and no heat strips, the meter would barely spin, am I right? any way it looks like something is sqewed, so I will have the company who installed it check it out, I dont know if it is still under waranty or not. The fact that it is a two story and the heat vents are all in the ceililngs does not help. and today it was still 67 downstairs and 10 degrees higher upstairs, when i put a digital thermometer at the upstairs vent, it reads about 85 coming out. and there is only one return at the top of the stair well, nothing in the down stairs ceiling. Thanks for all your help in sleuthing this thing, I really need a good tech to come over and check the t stat and the furnace and make sure all the systems are normal. Thanks again. I really like how you all pitch in and give different sides to the problem.( I was once a home inspector, but could not afford the E&O insurance our state wants.)

(I was once a home inspector, but could not afford the E&O insurance our state wants.)

You haven't been keeping up-to-date. We got licensing in 2008 and were separated from the bug guys.

Licensing requires proof of 120 hours of training, 40 hours of ride-alongs, 5 inspection reports done, pass the National Home Inspector Exam and a fee and you're licensed.

THERE IS NO LONGER AN E & O REQUIREMENT FOR HOME INSPECTORS.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike