It's a dome, Marc.

So? No trusses, no vertical structural members about the center of the dome, no...what they're called?...flying butresses?

Marc

It uses "compression" and "tension" rings, which hold everything together by exerting equal forces around the buildings. The ring visible in the roof keeps the rafters spread and the ring at the top of the wall keeps everything from spreading.

at least this is my understanding on how this type of system works.

Bryan

It uses "compression" and "tension" rings, which hold everything together by exerting equal forces around the buildings. The ring visible in the roof keeps the rafters spread and the ring at the top of the wall keeps everything from spreading.

at least this is my understanding on how this type of system works.

Bryan

That's exactly how it works. Tension rings.

So, how many rafters at a time can, or should you sheath and still be able to maintain the curve of the dome?

Looks like a lot of cuts.

That guy and his buddys had a lot of fun building it, but nobody said it was easy.

It works on the same principle as a yurt, only a yurt can be knocked down and rolled up.

I know of a similar building built with poles that uses cables thru holes on the pole rafters to hold the peak together. It is a very strong way to eliminate a center post.