Type SE cable in walls

Marc

I've a contract to replace a 200A FPE load center but it has to be installed 4' further down the wall to get adequate access.

I'm just being cautious because I can't recall ever running 2/0 2 conductor SE cable inside a wall without conduit. Couldn't find anything against it in the 2008 NEC.

Anyone aware of a prohibition, before I spend all that dough? There's no way I could possibly fit conduit into this space.

Marc

I've a contract to replace a 200A FPE load center but it has to be installed 4' further down the wall to get adequate access.

I'm just being cautious because I can't recall ever running 2/0 2 conductor SE cable inside a wall without conduit. Couldn't find anything against it in the 2008 NEC.

Anyone aware of a prohibition, before I spend all that dough? There's no way I could possibly fit conduit into this space.

Marc

It's fine. Just provide protection and secure it per the usual requirements.

As I recall, the local AHJ's don't like to see more than 6' of distance between the meter box and the SE main disconnecting means. Actual distance on this job is more like 4 or 5'. I'm buying 6' of SE but I expect to trim it during the installation

Marc

I recall a session by an IAEI troup of engineers where an electrician tried to pin them down on that distance. They squirmed in their seats and would not give a figure.

That's because there isn't a figure and a question that asks for one lacks foundation.

Here's the applicable phrase from 225.32:

The disconnecting means shall be at a readily accessible location nearest the point of entrance of the conductors.

An AHJ might *make up* a more concrete requirement, but it would be just that, a made up requirement. The actual code language provides a concept, not a concrete distance.

There must have been suggestive language somewhere. It's too big a coincidence that the customary number to *make up* is 6'.

It's like the SOP. One state dreams one up and the rest just watch and follow like chickens. Ever seen chickens in a coop?

But...there's a few, uhhh, regulatory bodies out there that did indeed put their thinking cap on and did some thinking about it. Absolutely, and a few did manage to do a swell job of it.

Marc

There must have been suggestive language somewhere. It's too big a coincidence that the customary number to *make up* is 6'.

First, as far as I can tell there is no "customary" distance. Everywhere seems to be slightly different. In Oregon, for instance, you're allowed a horizontal distance equal to one stud bay.

I just traced the requirement back through the ages to the 1947 edition and, while the requirement jumps around a bit, the actual wording is very consistent. It never specifies a specific distance, just, "nearest to the entrance of the conductors."