Rubberized shingles (?)

Richard Moore

So, first there was this in the kitchen...

Click to Enlarge
tn_2012418215054_0041.jpg

21.1 KB

I'm thinking they mean "rubberized" 'cos the shingles looked little different (or thicker) than the everyday 30 year laminated ones. Certainly not the thick rubber "tiles" I occasionally see.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2012418215254_0067.jpg

35.37 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2012418215417_0074.jpg

36.55 KB

If they are rubberized and 50 year, then I assume they are from State Roofing(?). Anyone know anything (good or bad) about these shingles. I have no issues with the install.

I know of a couple manufacturers of SBS modified asphalt shingles - Atlas is one and I think Malarkey(?) is the other. I read something not too long ago that more manufacturers are likely to move to polymer modified for their premium lines.

When mod bit first came out for low-slope membranes, most folks where calling them "rubber roofs". Now it looks like it's come up again for these premium shingles. Not a good idea since the "rubber" shingles could be interpreted as they're gettin' a synthetic slate roof.

Thanks Bill & Jim. Malarkey is just down the road in Portland, so I guess it could be those (not that I'm going to identify them in the report). Seeing the listing agent's sign in the kitchen was one of those "Huh?" moments. While I was yet to get on or up close to the roof, I had seen it. I was either having a senior moment or the sign was goofy.

Visually, I doubt I could reliably tell the difference between these and the norm. I will say that the granules seemed very well attached. It lacked that feel of loose grit you often get when walking on a newer roof.

Copied this from Malarkey's website. They are indeed claiming 50 years for their top of the line shingles.

Malarkey?s revolutionary Legacy? shingle technology begins with a durable base layer of fiberglass mat. Malarkey?s unique fiberglass mat is coated on both sides with the SBS modified rubber asphalt which provides tensile strength and increased flexibility, protecting your investment.

SBS MODIFIED ASPHALT

The rubberizing aspect of SBS increases flexibility and weatherability for your roof. The thermo cycling resilience of SBS modified asphalt provides greater granule adhesion for the shingle to create a better barrier from the elements. When granules stay on the shingles, you ............