Very old A/C system

Neal Lewis

Here's a picture of an abandoned cooling coil inside the ducting of a warm air furnace. The cooling coil could be at least 50 years old. There was a drain pipe coming out of the duct marked "compressor water drain". Any exterior components are long gone. What kind of AC system was this?

Click to Enlarge
tn_2012518222417_DSC09135.jpg

49.38 KB

Water systems don't use expansion valves and evaporative coolers evaporate water directly into the air. . . .

The small single family type water-source AC system's I've seen do use expansion valves. On the evaporator side, they look just like an air to air system, but on the condenser side, the refrigerant runs through a coil of water. When the system is running, the water is running, so it needs a place to drain.

What kind of AC system was this?

Click to Enlarge
tn_2012518222417_DSC09135.jpg

49.38?KB

Who cares? I'd tell 'em to get that bio experiment pulled out of there or wear an oxygen tank and full-face mask while in the home. It'd be an over-the-top comment but I'm sure they'd understand the point I was trying to make.

That's just nasty!

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike