Sliding Window Quiz

Mike Lamb

Who hasn't done that before?

A few years ago, a friend of mine ordered a replacement window for his kitchen and asked me to put it in. No problem. He ordered the right size and everything!

I never even looked at it before I installed it. About a month later, it was leaking like hell.

Is this the same window? Are you kidding me?

Who hasn't done that before?

A few years ago, a friend of mine ordered a replacement window for his kitchen and asked me to put it in. No problem. He ordered the right size and everything!

I never even looked at it before I installed it. About a month later, it was leaking like hell.

Is this the same window? Are you kidding me?

When I used to install windows, the vendor had a choice of double-hung, casement and sliders (among other items) so it was difficult to order the wrong thing.

What about casements that are installed as awnings?

Or worse, awnings installed as casements.

Seems like a creative type I know did just that many years ago. Think they worked OK. For siding this guy bought the ever more popular enameled steel roofing panels and hung them vertically as siding.

What about casements that are installed as awnings?

Or worse, awnings installed as casements.

Seems like a creative type I know did just that many years ago. Think they worked OK. For siding this guy bought the ever more popular enameled steel roofing panels and hung them vertically as siding.

There's a townhouse complex I know where they used corrugated metal barn roofing for the siding and the roofs. They call it "Tin Town".

The window on its side might not leak, but it won't drain either. If the frame has the little drain slots on the outside, it will need new drain holes drilled in what is now the bottom. Been there.