Doesn't appear to be like any normal spalling that would be caused by frost in the brick, appears to have been hit and broken. Either someone for some reason broke them off on purpose or maybe the operator hit the edges with his back-hoe bucket when back-filling around the foundation. Unless the bricks were actually loose, I would have noted as "cosmetic damage to the brick, repair as you wish."

Doesn't appear to be like any normal spalling that would be caused by frost in the brick, appears to have been hit and broken. Either someone for some reason broke them off on purpose or maybe the operator hit the edges with his back-hoe bucket when back-filling around the foundation. Unless the bricks were actually loose, I would have noted as "cosmetic damage to the brick, repair as you wish."

At the inspection I told the client it was just cosmetic. I didnt mention it in the report.

What did go in the report was the cracked crown and resulting efflorescence and cracking brick work near the top of the chimney.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201271301347_P1280156.jpg

57.61 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201271301450_P1280202.jpg

53.47 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201271301545_P1280199.jpg

59.55 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201271301558_P1280206.jpg

78.37 KB